what to do when pup pees or poos in house??

Thread: what to do when pup pees or poos in house??

uhmanda is offline Member

Unhappywhat to do when pup pees or poos in house??

I have heard conflicting responses as to what to do when the pup pees or poos in the house. I have a 9 week old yellow lab. I take him out every 50 min-1 hr. He pees or poos outside but then comes in and pees inbetween those 50 min-1hr. Sometimes even poos after he comes in from a pee (after he had ample time to poo outside!). I need everyones feedback on this one. Here are the things I have heard to do:

1). Take the pup OUTSIDE everytime after he pees/poos in the house to show him where he goes.

-OR-

2). Put him in his kennel everytime after he pees/poos in the house.

I dont mind taking him out everytime after he pees/poos in the house, but it doesnt seem like it is making any difference at this point. It is ferosiously cold and blizzardly-like but I go out for him cause I wanna do what is best for training him to grow up and be a good dog (and what is best for my carpet!!lol).

My worry with putting him in the crate is that he will look at being in the crate as a place wherehe goes when he is bad and I want him to look at the crate as his safe haven.

So I am not sure as to what to do or what I am suppose to do. HELP!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

are you going out with him? Praise and reward when he does it right, that will speed things up. If he is consistently having accidents, he has too much freedom - you need to closely supervise him until he gets the idea.

Yes, I go out with him every 50 min/1 hr. We started out with me walking him just to the fenced in backyard then letting him off the leash to go potty but then he started just playing so I had to start walking him on the leash in the backyard. Also, I put the pack of Pnuttier Biscuits in my pocket so that everytime he goes potty he gets one, even if he goes pee, then poo, he gets a biscuit for both. I didnt think he had too much freedom because I am home with him ALL day and evening and he is in a kennel at night. I have already blocked of the back bedrooms and hallway because he kept peeing on the carpet and now he is constantly peeing on the rug in the living room. He will do it right in front of me!!!!! He will even be looking at me sometimes!! I thought maybe I was keeping a pretty good eye on him but maybe not. One person suggested that I put a leash around my waste and she can go wherever I go. Because apparently I cant evem leave him alone for 30 seconds without him making a mess behind my back. But, I dont kow if he IS doing it behind my back, like I said, he will stand right in front of me and even look at me sometimes while he does it! Dont get me wrong: He is a great dog. Very loving and energetic and good with the kids (except the hand mouthing), but this peeing and pooping everywhere is crazy! I am glad most my house is wood floor and linoleum but it is still a royal pain in the ass!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

any chance this is submissive peeing?

I dont believe so. He is only 9 weeks old and that shouldnt by any means start that early! It usually starts around 6 months. I dont think they have the mental capacity at this age to understand submissive peeing. But maybe I have been misinformed. Is it possible for submissive peeing to start at 2 months?!?!?!?

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Its tough when its really cold. SOunds like youare doing the right stuff taking him out every hour. When you catch him at it, snatch him up and immediately outside. No time to put coat on, just right outside to finish.

Are you cleaning up where he went inside with Nature's Miracle or some other descenting product?

You might try leashing him to you when you are in the house and he is not crated. Until he is house trained, you have to keep him in your sight.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

submissive peeing can start at any age, there's no mental activity involved - it's an involuntary reaction. Regardless, agree with Ed - constant supervision, tethering if you have to, strict schedule in feeding and exercise, and you'll get there.

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

I replied to your other thread but thought I would add to this one. If my pup goes inside it really isn't necessary to go outside since he is finished now. I usually take them out if they peed because sometimes a poo follows but if they had a poo accident I just clean it up good and spray with nature miracle. IF your puppy is active and playing then the bladder will be active so make extra potty trips when he is running about. If you pup is sleeping you can go longer. It takes time, so don't give up. I know many dogs that end up outside because the owner just can't figure out the potty training. As your dog grows his bladder will too.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Canula2000 View Post
    I replied to your other thread but thought I would add to this one. If my pup goes inside it really isn't necessary to go outside since he is finished now. I usually take them out if they peed because sometimes a poo follows but if they had a poo accident I just clean it up good and spray with nature miracle. IF your puppy is active and playing then the bladder will be active so make extra potty trips when he is running about. If you pup is sleeping you can go longer. It takes time, so don't give up. I know many dogs that end up outside because the owner just can't figure out the potty training. As your dog grows his bladder will too.
    Toby is a part of my family just like my kids. I absolutley love him~there will be no giving up here! Just LOTS of questions and so glad I have access to everyones great advise...Thanks!