Puppy wont quit hand mouthing!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy wont quit hand mouthing!

uhmanda is offline Member

AngryPuppy wont quit hand mouthing!

Help! My 8 week old puppy mouths everyones hands all day long. He has his mouth wide open and looks like he is gonna bite whenever he is playing or being pet,.plus he attacks your ankles and pantlegs with his mouth as well. I dont know what to do!! I tell him NO firmly and move my hand away. He may stop for a moment but just continues to do it the next time your hand is there (or not there, sometimes he seems to go after hands). He doesnt bite them but he mouths your hands ALWAYS nomatter what you are doing with him. I dont know why he does this or how to break him of it. Anyone out there able to help?!?!?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

This is totally normal behavior. Did you just get him? Typically puppies will act this way with their littermates and they do learn from that interaction. You become the substitute littermate.

You should redirect him to an appropriate chew object. Remember to praise him when he is not biting you.

If he is persistent - stand and remove your hand from his reach. You can crate him if he is being wild and out of control.

One other method is to curl his lip over a tooth and gently press until he feels a little ouchie. You are not looking to injure him - just to get the message across that biting hurts.

Good luck!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Thanks Sharon! I just got him last Thurday. He had just turned 8 weeks old that day. He is a very good puppy. Very sweet and loving. But yes, the hand mouthing is CONSTANT! MY 4 year old daughter is TERRIFIED of him because of this reason and wont even come out of her room unless he is in his crate! I am trying everyday to try to get her used to him but so far it is not going very well. I think if I can stop the hand mouthing, my 4 year old wont be so scared of her. My 2 year old on the other hand thinks it is funny when he is being chased after with a puppy attached to his pantleg and it doesnt seem to phase him at all when he gets maulled!! I feel SO much better now knowing that that is vommon in new puppies. I am very consistent with disciplining him but I never hit him or pry his mouth open. Usually a firm NO! and pulling my hand away does the trick momentarily. Hopefully eventually he will learn that he needs to stop doing it permanently, not just for two seconds!! Thanks for the knowledge! I am new at all this..I am a first time dog-owner and I am finding that a puppy is more work than having a baby!! haha. Thanks again, Sharon!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sara is offline Senior Member
    The deep north woods in a constant state of confusion

I had young children when I had a pup that tiny.. My best advice is to keep him leashed in the house until he settles down a bit.. I had a long thin nylon leash that I had attached to myself around the waist. I know it sounds silly, but you really do have the upperhand that way. They can only get so far, and get away with so much and you're able to correct bad behavior the instant it happens. Mine learned rather quickly that when I left the room, he should follow, so as I can keep an eye on him. (and here he thought he was just being a loyal pup..lol) Just be consistant and redirect their mouthy inhabitions to something proper for them to bite on. Labs are a mouthy breed and I have found that mine prefer REALLY loud squeeky soft plush toys.. lol
    Also try a frozen kong from time to time when he get out of control.. You're right, they are harder than having a baby in the house! I've said the same thing!

Good luck. Take tons of photos, they grow too fast!

That'll do, Chief. That'll do.
    "There is no cure for birth and death
    save to enjoy the interval."
    ~George Santayana

Roscoe's Mom is offline Member

Roscoe likes to mouth too. I've been trying to keep her occupied with other things so she'll wear out. Those puppy teeth hurt. lol

MnMsMom9902 is offline Senior Member

I feel for you because my 7 yo special needs daughter was also terrified of Miko for the first several months. It was much more traumatic than I had ever anticipated. We not only had to work on Miko not to mouth and jump, we also had to work with our daughter how to treat a dog as well. No doubt this will need a lot of work on your part to get them to bond with each other.

But slowly they will bond. Now Miko is 10 months old, and you can see from this picture, my special needs child and Miko are best buds!

Miko (April 6, 2009), CGC

myFirstlab is offline Member

hi uhmanda, what worked for me is we would tie her leash to the door knob when we play with her. If she jumps up, or bites, we say no first, and if she listens she gets a click, then treat.. if she doesn't listen, we turn our back and walk away... come back in a minute or so and try again... what also helped me is even if she is not doing a trick, but she's being good, i click and give a treat...
    You just have to be patient, as the first time you might have to keep doing this over n over again (the walking away and coming back after a minute or so..) but it really works

She's about 15 weeks and still have moments, but they are few and far between now, and her jumping on us decreased big time, its like you can see her about to jump when you walk towards her but she stops herself and waits for us.

good luck!

Hey there. Moka is 14 weeks now and still likes to mouth when your playing with him and his toys. He has gotten way better since we got him over a month ago. I think this will be normal until he is through the teething/puppy stage. He used to nip hard but with the suggestions from this site and some patience that has almost gone away. He still gets worked up at times but he is only 3 months and full of energy so its expected! Anyways just wanted to say that it does get better and it just takes time and patience.

MnMsMom9902 is offline Senior Member

One more thing. Since my younger daughter has special needs and you've mentioned in another post that your 4 yo also has special needs, I would share that you may want to research a bit on therapy dog training. I do find that I have to make sure that Miko is trained early on to be both calm and confident at the same time. And that not only do I have to make sure that my daughter is not afraid of Miko, but that Miko is also not fearful of her.

Miko (April 6, 2009), CGC

Thanks for the info! I never thought about putting a leash around my waist. That is a GREAT idea!! He follows me most of the time anyways, and that way Amaya can feel that she can get away. Problem is, I dont have him wear a collar in the house because it makes him itch and he digs into his neck til it bleeds! SO I use a prong collar attached to a leach just to take him outside togo potty. He doesnt mind the prong collar at all and I can easily just put it over his head for all of million walks a day! I made sure it wouldnt hurt him physically or mentally by wearing it and I never pull on it or force him with it. would it hurt him to use that around the house as well?? It does sound like a great idea and may work for many reasons like you had mentioned!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast