No walks until 6 months ??

Thread: No walks until 6 months ??

ILoveMyLab is offline Junior Member

DefaultNo walks until 6 months ??

I have been advised by many people ( including a vet among them )
    to not walk a young Lab until at least 6months old
    and then - only for a short while , preferably not to go on proper long walks until the dog is over a year old... this is due to the hip problems Labs are prone to getting..

Ive read a few posts here about destructive puppies who dont get enough exercise.. id love to avoid this

We also walk around a lake here each evening.. weve stopped doing that so that the puppy isnt home alone - we would love to take her along , but i would hate to cause her any harm
    ( she will be 12 weeks on Sunday )

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

No - a normal walk is fine. I would avoid other dogs (or at least stranger dogs) until she is fully vaccinated. You probably have friends with safe dogs she can be around who are fully vetted.

Forced exercise (like taking your puppy jogging) is bad for a young dog. A normal walk is fine. It's excessive stuff - like jumping up or down from a significant height (compared to her size) or forced exercise where she cannot choose to stop/slow down that is harmful.

I'd stay out of dog parks until she is vaccinated and bigger.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

ILoveMyLab is offline Junior Member

yeah i didnt even consider the other dogs - was just thinking of the over-exercise issue

we would love to take her to the doggy beach... considering its been 43C here lately ( 109F ) ... so feel free to send us some snow !

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

if the vet actually said NO WALKS (i.e. none at all) I would seriously consider a new vet - that is ridiculous on so many levels. Hopefully that was just a misunderstanding.

You want to try and limit as much as possible repetitive movements on hard surfaces, but for goodness sake a dog is a dog and needs exercise, stimulation, and socializing. Keep the walks shorter (i believe the rule is about 5 mins per month of age, then playing it by ear) and to not RUN with a dog ON LEASH on pavement.

You also want the pup running as much as possible, off leash (to their own rythme) on softer surfaces (grass/sand/dirt) to exercise and build muscle. Again, more shorts burts is better than one long session.

I fully believe in being conservative but still letting a dog be a dog and give them exercise/socialization. and being very cautious until I believe two weeks after their last set of shots before going in places highly populated by dogs.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I agree with Tanya's advice.

Also, socialization with other dogs is very important for them to learn at this stage so they're social and playful later in life. Choose friendly, playful dogs that are healthy. Do you have any in your neighborhood with fenced yards? I took Puff on playdates for an hour with other dogs in my neighborhood or among friends about 3-5X/week.

FWIW, my Puff seemed hyper, or "wired" as a young pup and 5 mins/day per month of age of vigorous daily exercise (fetching, etc.) only once seemed too little to unwind her rubber band motor so we had two per day separated by 8+ hours.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748