Harnesses/Gentle Leaders/Other
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harnesses/Gentle Leaders/Other

mosmama is offline Senior Member

DefaultHarnesses/Gentle Leaders/Other

How many of you use harnesses, Gentle Leaders or training/prong collars on your younger labs?
    Mo
    May 17, 1998 - May 20, 2009

The Love of My Life
    Rest in peace my Sweet Chocolate
    I Love You and Miss You so much

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Prong collars on both of them. I used a GL successfully with a prior dog.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

While many people use them, I'm afraid of causing throat damage with a prong collar so I've never used one.

I strongly disrecommend using a head halter such as the Gentle Leader or other brands for 2 reasons.

#1 -- most dogs HATE the over the snout strap and a few detest it so much that they continually paw at it, trying to get it off; walking is impossible in the face of such activity. A few dogs accept it without protests. My Puff was in between: she didn't like it but we reached an understanding that I'd leave it loose enough so I could slip it off her muzzle as long as she behaved but I'd slip it back on if she needed more control. That's the way we mainly used it.

#2 -- Despite mainly using the GL head halter that way, within a few months the color of Puff' fur under where the over-the-muzzle strap went began aging, turning white. (See siggy pix below)

We stopped using it and went to Gentle Leader's "Easy Walk" harness. MUCH better, MUCH more tolerable. Its only problem is it will take some trial and error adjusting and readjusting over a week or so before you get it to the best possible fit.

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 01-20-2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: italicize, underline, bold "did" in disrecommend
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

I used a prong for about two weeks. I trained Rider off of it quickly. Rookie never needed one.

Please remember they are TRAINING collars...not fixes for pulling dogs. A dog should be able to walk nicely on a leash without a training collar if properly trained.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

brody is offline Senior Member

we use sensation and easy walk harnesses here - LOVE them ..
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

bluejeans is offline Member

We use the easy walk harness. Jersey is getting strong enough to pull me & my youngest son off our feet.

Felix is offline Senior Member

I now those trainingtools .. But, if i said .. They are trainingtools and never should be used for the length of a dogs life ..

So, i just use a simpel leash with a simpel collar (both leather) ..

MnMsMom9902 is offline Senior Member

Easy Walk user here.

Miko (April 6, 2009), CGC

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

I have used a choke, pinch, micro pinch, flat buckle, regular harness and E-collar. I trained obedience first with a choke then pinch and then micro pinch. Once I started training field with an E-collar I started training everything with an E-collar. Tracking still requires a harness. Obedience and agility trials and AKC events I use a choke. Walks in general I use a choke (its the easiest to pt on and off). anytime we are in a field we use an E-collar. At home Amber just goes naked.
    She is trained to heel on a loose leash so there is no pulling. I hate dogs that pull on lead! except for tracking ..lol
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

Felix is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amber The Duck Dawg View Post
    I have used a choke, pinch, micro pinch, flat buckle, regular harness and E-collar. I trained obedience first with a choke then pinch and then micro pinch. Once I started training field with an E-collar I started training everything with an E-collar. Tracking still requires a harness. Obedience and agility trials and AKC events I use a choke. Walks in general I use a choke (its the easiest to pt on and off). anytime we are in a field we use an E-collar. At home Amber just goes naked.
    She is trained to heel on a loose leash so there is no pulling. I hate dogs that pull on lead! except for tracking ..lol
    Training this way, is so old fashioned .. And most of the dogschool forbid those training tools

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast