Chewing

Thread: Chewing

mosmama is offline Senior Member

UnhappyChewing

Limo will be 10 mos this week. Yesterday he ate a piece off my mom's labs toy. He puked it up at 5 this morning, thank goodness.

I've been leaving him out of his crate for short periods when I am here. Most of the time I've let him out when I've taken my shower and he is usually laying on my towels when I get out of the shower. Well this morning, I hear something (like he was playing with something).....when I went to get out of the shower, my one towel was GONE! I looked around the corner and he CHEWED A HOLE IN IT!!! I was furious, but calmly told him he was BAD! Will he EVER stop this bad behavior? He has kongs gallore and nylabones, all accessible to him.....Will be forever be in his crate for the rest of his life???? I just don't know any more and need some help, advice.
    Mo
    May 17, 1998 - May 20, 2009

The Love of My Life
    Rest in peace my Sweet Chocolate
    I Love You and Miss You so much

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I would just keep at it and don't lose hope. he is obviously not ready to be trusted yet. I started testing HK for freedom at about 11 months. She was 18 months old before she finally earned her freedom permantently.

Labby has Shanny who I understand is probably crated for life. One of her many Labs. They ae not all the same, and we either have to find the way to train them, or accept that some of them willnever earn their freedom.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

mosmama is offline Senior Member

I guess you're right. I'm hoping Limo grows out of this stage quicker than he actually will. Thank you for your help. I definitely need support with this. It's rough this time around.
    Mo
    May 17, 1998 - May 20, 2009

The Love of My Life
    Rest in peace my Sweet Chocolate
    I Love You and Miss You so much

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

While enough daily vigorous exerecise won't completely take away a dog's love of chewing, it can certainly reduce it.

"A Tired Lab is a Good Lab" -- Socrates

"A Bored Lab that is not Tired is a Royal P.I.T.A" -- Confucius

"A Dozing Lab Rarely Causes Problems" -- Bhagavad Gita

"A Lab sufficiently exercised has partaken of Nature's own Prozac and Valium" -- Hippocrates

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Bump for this thread. How is it going?

I ask because I have a bit of a chewing problem too. Moka has yet to destruct anything but when he is alone during the day he knaws on a piece of his wooden gate, used to keep him in the den. I know that he is not doing this to escape as I have hid outside at times and watched him. It seems he gets bored with his chew toys (kong and nylabones) after getting the treats out or chewing them for a bit and then as he is walking by the gate spots a tasty piece lol. Is there anything else out there that is good to leave with them and will keep them chewing and occupied for sometime? He gets plenty of exercise in the morning and is usually pooped out by the time someone leaves for work or he has to be alone. He doesn't ever seem to do it at night as there is never any evidence of it.

Also while we are on it, what are some good bones/toys for chewing a few times a week while being supervised. We have tried the non-edible nylabones but he grows bored with those quite quickly. Seems as if he can't get anywhere on it he doesn't want it. Gave him a few edible nylabones but the puppy ones he demolishes in minutes. I accidently gave him a large size one before, before reading the package that says its not good for his digestive system or teeth but he also went through this in minutes. Should we try rawhides? If so what kinds are good quality?