Please Help With Housebreaking!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Help With Housebreaking!

dukesmommy22 is offline Senior Member

DefaultPlease Help With Housebreaking!

Hi all. Our lab Duke is having some house breaking issues. He is 11 weeks old. He was doing really well for awhile. When we first got him he only had a few accidents (we took him out about every hour) so we thought he was doing really well. He seemed to progress then all of a sudden every other day or so he has an accident. At my parents house he goes to the front door and waits and runs out to go when we open the door. However here at my fiance's house he never lets us "know" we just take hime out, but not as often as we first had. He only has pee accidents and we never see him do it, it's always when we arent around him (which isnt very often). We are not sure if he does it while walking or what. I'm hoping some of you experienced lab owners can help us! Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Never leave him unsupervised. If you cannot watch him, crate him. It helps to keep him leashed to you - then he is always within reach.

You should have an established schedule by now for him. Having a schedule helps him to "get it" and to learn your expectations better.

I would not just let him got out - TAKE him out - watch him, praise him when he pees/poops and then back in. If you take him out he is less likely to be distracted and forget to pee.

And - the places where he has had accidents in the past must be thoroughly cleaned with a product like Natures Miracle which will neutralize the odor. Regular cleaners won't do this. If it smells like pee to his little nose - he will keep peeing there.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Ditto to what Sharon/BBD advised.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hi guys thanks for the tips...to clear up confusion we never leave him to go to the bathroom outside by himself we do take him out and watch him and praise/give treats when he is done. Also, in our small farmhouse he cant go to far and the way the rooms are set up we can see him 99% of the time, i guess he just goes that 1% when we arent looking! As for the nature's miracle we will need to get some of that, i had never heard of it before. I'm sure he will get it soon, Ill cross my fingers! Thanks again!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

If you can't find "NM", clean up the pee spot with usual household cleaners, then go over it with OTC Hydrogen Peroxide.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

uhmanda is offline Member

I use UrineOFF (I got it at Pet Supplies Plus). It is kinda salty but it works well for me. We started of with Natures Miracle but seemed Toby could still smell the pee. We havent had a problem with him going back to previously marked spots since we have been using the UrineOFF. But from what I have read, the Natures Miracle has worked well for several people and is reasonably priced.

Sara is offline Senior Member
    The deep north woods in a constant state of confusion

Aaahhh, the joy of house breaking. Just be consistant. Remember not to get angry with him if he pottys in the house.
    Anger and frustration can do more harm than good. Praise and consistancy are key.
    Good luck.

That'll do, Chief. That'll do.
    "There is no cure for birth and death
    save to enjoy the interval."
    ~George Santayana

Hi everyone! Just to let you know we haven't had any accidents about a week or so now! Yay! He's actually going to the door at my parents and my fiance's house. Huge sigh of relief! Thanks for thr advice!

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a Labrador Retriever licking your face". – Unknown

great news! we didn't have any NM or something similiar on hand at the time we got Moka and used a mixture of water and vinegar. seemed to work just fine. but then again we went and got the NM shortly after and we haven't really had that many more accidents since so its hard to tell if that really did work or WE just got better at spotting his tells!

lisa is offline Senior Member

Yay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast