2 pups at once

Thread: 2 pups at once

akkeith is offline Junior Member

Default2 pups at once

Hello
    We are planning on getting two lab pups from the same litter from a reputable breeder that we have gotten dogs from before. The first dogs were brothers from a different litter two years apart. This time we wanted to get two males from the same litter but have read some online articles about how it is not a good idea. Reasons being that they will never really depend on us as they do each other and that training will be a nightmare. I have trained quite a few dogs throughout my years and have always had great success so the training aspect does not concern me. The bonding aspect does however. I want my dogs to want to be with me more than anything else. Is this going to be a problem? Both dogs will be neutered. Thank you for any advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

what does your breeder say? Most breeders I talked to wouldn't sell two pups from the same litter to the same family.

it will all depend how much time YOU have. It is discourage/not recommended for alot of good reasons. Yes people have done it, and survived though. If you can dedicate time for each pup, one-on-one, make a point of taking them on seperate outings OFTEN (so they get used to being alone without the other), take individual obedience classes, crate seperate, etc then it can work.

It is alot of work to ensure they are able to be functionnal without the other. YOu never know what will happen to you, even if you never PLAN to seperate them, they need to be ok without the other. Too often siblings raised together fall apart when seperated. Furthermore, you have the possible heartach of loosing both very closely together as they will age together. I like having a young dog to be active with (long walks and such) so having two older dogs limits my options quite abit (not that there is anything wrong with an older lab, they are great companions, but I want at least one I can be active with as well)

it also is ALOT of expenses at the same time:
    - buying all the gear times two (two crates, three bowls, two training leashes, two puppy collars/leashes, etc, etc, etc)
    - twice the cost of obedience classes (gotta do them twice),
    - twice the neuter at the same time
    - twice the shots (x 3 I believe) at the same time,
    -then as they age, twice the expense on things like- pain meds all at once.

The difficultly of training two dogs at once is one thing (putting one in their crate or other room while you train the other, then trading) - but all it is twice as time consumming as to do all the training TWICE in the exact same time frame. It is very very very TIME consumming. And there is alot to say about dedicating that time to one dog (makes them feel good) and then bring in another dog later so you can do the same (spend the extra time with them).
    Last edited by Tanya; 01-14-2010 at 05:43 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Dani is offline Senior Member

No, it's not a good idea. There used to be a member on this forum that got two male litter mates that ended up having some aggression issues toward each other as they aged. Bonding is a huge issue. Training is one thing but they will be dependent upon each other when you are gone. Also, with pups the same age, you'll likely lose them around the same age. Can you deal with that?

No reputable breeder would send home two pups from the same litter...for all of the reasons you read and more.

Here's a good link: http://leerburg.com/2dogs.htm
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies. Are you speaking from experience of having two pups at once? The only thing I am concerned with is that the puppies will not view me as the alpha and do as they please. The expenses and training are not an issue for us since we both have trained numerous dogs and have ample time to spend with them together and individually. As for the time when the end comes our other two Labs were two years apart and died within a year of each other and yes it was hard but its hard to lose one also. My breeder, who is a very reputable one, as had several other litter mates go to the same house without issue. He of course says if we do not feel comfortable with it then to get just one. He sees no problem with bonding with us because his children socialize with the pups extensively until they leave home. Does anyone know if there has been a study done on this subject? I have read many articles on the subject both for and against it. Thanks again for any info.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Hate to sound like a bitch, but your breeder doesn't at all sound reputable to me. Sending littermates home is a cardinal sin of the reputable breeders. The bonding issue is a huge one...I'm not speaking about training. Did you look at the link I provided you? You'd need to separately and group train and make sure they have their own crates, time with you, etc. Many people get littermates so that they have company. Young pups need training and direction from you as their pack leader. If you have to split up your time to establish that with another one, your young pup is getting robbed proper socialization.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Not at all you are offering your opinion which I appreciate. The breeder is one of the top in the state. I checked him out last time before we bought pups from him. I also called two other Lab breeders in the stat and one in Washington and all of them said they would not have a problem with it. They did all emphasize the need to separate them. Thanks again for the input.

Edit: From what we have been reading and opinions of others we have decided to go with one now and another in a couple of years like we did before. Thanks
    Last edited by akkeith; 01-15-2010 at 03:44 PM.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Typically, reputable breeders WON'T sell 2 pups together. I have 2 littermates that I kept from my litter 2 years ago, and I definitely see a difference in their behavior (they have a very strong bond to one another and when they are going wild and excited, I still don't exist). I have talked to other breeders in the past when I was just picking their brains and learning, and they said they "might" do it for the right home and if the folks had a ton of dog experience. That "might" be the case for you too.

I love my boys and I love their relationship together, but I would never do it again.