Why?

Thread: Why?

mosmama is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhy?

Limo will be 10 mos on the 22nd. Why is he more interested in finding apples on the frozen ground than retrieving a toy with me? He retrieves, but not that much.....is it just me or is it just his age where he's so scatter brained right now?????
    I guess I expect too much sometimes, but wonder what I'm doing wrong. When Mo was young I was married, had help and of course he was a totally different dog. I miss him so much.
    I just wonder when things will actually click for Limo as for retrieving and paying more attention to me. He's a pretty good boy, most of the time. He still tries to grab things he shouldn't (my hair scrunchies, socks, etc) which I think is normal for his age?
    I need some advice on if I'm doing something wrong or if I'm not doing more of something else...? Very confused. I just want a good lab.
    Also, he can jump off all fours like I've never seen! Is this going to be a forever thing that he does? He sits when I tell him when I see him jump like that (when we're ready to go back in the house, for instance). But, again, why does he do it? I just need some answers.
    Mo
    May 17, 1998 - May 20, 2009

The Love of My Life
    Rest in peace my Sweet Chocolate
    I Love You and Miss You so much

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

fetching may just not be that much fun for him. not all labs LOVE to retrieve. rocky is 5.5 and will retrieve CERTAIN toy (he is very picky) for a few fetches. It never last very long, he prefers to go lay down and chew the toy. There are lots of things he won't even bother to retriever (if he even bothers to go look at it, he won't pick it up)

you can make it fun by association, use different types of toys and reward with treats. For fetching the bumper toy (which he would not touch) I had to go wtih clicker training. Slow steps, first a click/treat to be near the toy, then to touch it, then to hold it in his mouth, then to carry it abit, eventually to carry it all teh way to me). it took about a week of lots of short sessions (week and a half or two maybe even). But we never play very long as I don't want him to get sick of it.

As for paying attention, it could in part be age. Do you do regular training with your pup (Daily or so?) I find Rocky is very "la la la la' when we are not training. But the more classes we take teh better he gets. I also work with treats haha. But if you do not regularly work with your dog (tasks where you require and reward his attention) it won't "click". If I stop working for a few weeks (no classes, no daily training) then he looses that and it takes a few days to get it back.
    Last edited by Tanya; 01-14-2010 at 06:30 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Below is a copy of a post I've often made.
    ================================================== ==============
    Many people assume that a Lab should retrieve automatically, without training.

While SOME Labs do, probably the majority need some training to retrieve.

Chasing after a moving object is native and instinctual for almost all dogs but the bringing it back to someone and giving it up is not and that part usually needs training.

However, for many Labs, once they learn to retrieve, it's often the thing they enjoy most in life and have an endurance for fetching greater than the arm endurance of the person throwing the object.

That's not bad because most Labs need a lot of daily vigorous exercise to be docile and civil. "Fetch" is a wonderful way of meeting most of those needs.

However, a few Labs become too obsessed with retrieving and need to have limits imposed.

And a few get EIC (Exercise Induced Collapse) and become weak and shaky; this is a genetic fault of a few Labs and was investigated by a consortium of US & Canadian Vet colleges. The Labrador Retriever Club website has a section on this.

Teaching to retrieve --

For a puppy, if you have a blind hallway, you can start by rolling a ball or toy down the hall toward the blind end. The pup will run after it and has no choice but to come back to you. At that time, praise, and exchange a treat or a bit of kibble for the ball/toy along with more praise.

Repeat 2-3 times. ALWAYS QUIT WHILE IT'S STILL FUN AND INTERESTING TO YOUR PUP/DOG.

I didn't have a blind hallway and we used a 25 foot/8 m. kite string tied to a rubber toy dumbbell.

We went out in the front yard and I'd throw it in first one direction, holding on to the bitter end (i.e., the non-toy end) of the line. Puff went after it and when she picked up the toy, I reeled back both Puff and the toy she was holding, praised her, and gave a treat in exchange for the toy. You might also say, "__(name)__, Give!" at the time you're offering the treat and getting the toy delivered to your hand. Then you'll be teaching another VERY useful command: ("Give!").

I threw it in a different direction next time. Repeated as above

You do need to vary the directions you throw it and the locations you use because young dogs can easily (too easily) become site-specific in their learning.

E.g., a woman 5-6 years ago on JL complained that her Lab would retrieve when she sat in a particular chair in her living room and threw a toy from there but would not retrieve any place else. When you vary the locations and directions it helps them easily learn to generalize.

ALWAYS KEEP THE RETRIEVING FUN, NEVER WORK.

If your pup's enthusiasm starts lagging after 5 trials, drop to 3 or 4 the next time you try it. If it lags after 3 trials, drop to one for awhile until the interest and enthusiasm builds up.

If you train just before normal feeding time, your pup's motivation for food will be higher and pieces of kibble exchanged for the toy will have greater reward effect.

As your pup learns to retrieve and enjoys it, you can gradually increase the # of trials.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank you everyone.

I really think I got him too soon after I lost Mo. Plus I'm alone and no help with training, etc. I'm really trying to stay positive, but will never get over Mo. I try not to compare the two of them, but I know I do.......Why did God take Mo from me?
    Mo

The Love of My Life

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

You have gotten some good advice, and commentary. You really just have to keep at it. Limo is young, and probably in one of the rebellioius teen stages.

You mentioned that he prefers gathering apples to retrieving. Hmmm! HK is a fanatic retriever. Probably her favorite activity to chase down that ball and bring it back to be thrown again. Every day, no excuse for me not taking her out twice a day for this activity. Oh! I forgot. Only for 9 months a year at the house. Those other three months, the months when apples are falling from the trees. She could care less about chasing a ball, could care less about taking a pee, or dropping a poop. As soon as the door is open, she is out and beelines for the apple trees. That is a pretty severe distraction for you to try to surpress.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

I'm thinking about asking my landlord if he minded if I fenced around both trees. Maybe that would help distract him. I'm just really having a hard time with training him. I'm not used to any of the bad behaviors with him. I've never had to deal with them before.
    Mo

The Love of My Life

LIMO