eats poop, orefers it to treats
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eats poop, orefers it to treats

broken08 is offline Junior Member

Defaulteats poop, orefers it to treats

My 9mo guy will occasionally find some frozen poop in the yard and start eating it. Multiple times i have tried to get him to stop. I have tried being nice, telling him to come, drop it, leave it (all commands he knows in the house) and he still eats it and runs away from me with it. Recently I have approached him with a treat in hand, slow and nice, he definately sees the treat, but he still runs away to eat the poop. Every training thing I've ever read assumes that the dog prefers treats to anything else. And he does love these treats, but apparently the poop, (and often sticks) are tastier and not worth the trade.
    what is wrong with my dog?
    (and yes, we feed him plenty of high quality food)
    thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

I have a poop eater too. Lots of us do.

The only real way to combat this disgusting little penchant, is to pick up immediately after they poop and eliminate the availability of such snacks.

Pain in the ass when it's -30 C, but worth it. Have you had the joy of experiencing poo vomit yet? If not, don't wait - start picking up today!!
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TangerineFizz View Post
    I have a poop eater too. Lots of us do.

The only real way to combat this disgusting little penchant, is to pick up immediately after they poop and eliminate the availability of such snacks.

Pain in the ass when it's -30 C, but worth it. Have you had the joy of experiencing poo vomit yet? If not, don't wait - start picking up today!!
    I completely agree. If it is restricted to your property count yourself LUCKY and just be more quick about picking up. It is, unfortunately, very normal. There is a line of thinking that says it is due to an imbalance in their food but I doubt that is the case for most dogs.

You can try to find a higher value treat but it will be a hard battle. Poop is high high high value for most dogs. But you can try stuff like roast beef. You can try to "set him up" by having him on a long line so you can reel him in if he picks it up but I found my dog knew when he was on the line and when he wasn't (plus he would swallow before I could real him in if he tried!).

It is worse for me as I have no yard (live in teh city) so my dog's offleash time is in area of high dog traffic (public places) so I have to contend with OTHER PEOPLE not p icking up (and when you have a poop eater you notice just how much people DO NOT pick up).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

broken08 is offline Junior Member

thanks for the ideas so far. He will unfortunately eat the leftovers from others at the dog park. And when he finds it he runs away and I can't get it from him. same thing with sticks/chips.
    Poop vomit? done that one too. ick
    I am going to try a tastier treat and a setup.

Roscoe's Mom is offline Member

Roscoe is a poop eater too. We haven't gone to the dog park, yet, but I'm looking forward to keeping her away from those landmines too, let me tell ya. lol

Best of luck, Broken.

uhmanda is offline Member

TangerineFizz:...YOu have the PRETTIEST siamese!!! I have a lynx point siamese. He is kinda funny lookin though! lol He has been a part of my life for ten years and dont know what I would do without him~he is so loyal to me (but hates everyone else!). I also have a new baby yellow lab. WONDERFUL picture!!!!! Love it :-)

uhmanda is offline Member

They LOVE LOVE LOVE cat poop, too. I think even more so than their own!!

greg is offline Senior Member

Jack only did this for a few months.with him i believe it may have been nutritional.his food was fine,but he wolf it down.once i got him to slow down the poop eating stopped.now if i could only get him to stop rolling in the cow manure 'lol the joys of owning a hunting dog

igo4ss111 is offline Junior Member

DefaultCuring Poo Eaters!

We recently adopted two 9 week old lab puppies. They WERE poo eaters. Not only did they scavage the yard for it, that literally took turns feasting on eachothers poo (as it as exiting the body). YUCK!!! Not only was a grossed out, but it definately is not "good" for them. We mixed a few pieces of pineapple chuncks in their food a couple times and the poo eating has now stopped! They are no longer chasing eachother around waiting for the fresh stuff nor are they eating estranged poo either!

murphsmom is offline Senior Member

Murphy used to do it too. Picking it up immediately seems to be the only solution. UGH!

MurphySullyHogan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast