Introducing to another dog?

Thread: Introducing to another dog?

ScorpianAbarth is offline Senior Member

DefaultIntroducing to another dog?

Hello, I'm new to the forum

I'm bringing my little boy home on Monday. I have just moved in with a couple who already have a 4mth old mini poodle pup who is lovely, but I'm a bit unsure about how to introduce them? Right now, the poodle is lots bigger but I know it won't be long 'till my boy matches him in size.

My thinking so far is keeping him away from the poodle for the first day and let him get settled, but how do I go about introducing them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

thought I'd add a pic!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I would not worry about the introduction. They are both babies and I highly doubt that there will be any difficulty with them meshing. Is the poodle fully vaccinated?

Your puppy will be bigger in 4-6 weeks.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for replying. Yep, he's fully vaccinated. I'm not so much worried about them getting on, as they are both little and will grow up together. It's more the when/how I should go about it?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Bring him home - put him on the floor - let them get to know each other. Really - they are so close in age I cannot imagine any issue happening.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Ah, ok One of the breeders advised that I let him settle for a day first, but you don't think that matters?

Tanwen is offline Senior Member
    I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

I didn't want to start another thread on the same topic, so I decided to hijack this one
    I'm thinking of getting another Lab (what else...but I did consider a lapdog but I've lost my heart to Labradors now...no hope for me). Ive seen an advertisement for a litter of fox red puppies - trouble is the breeder is a 3-hour drive away. Not much for me, I suppose, but I always said that Dinozzo would have a say on any puppy I wanted to bring home - if he didn't get on with the new one, they wouldn't come...but I think that 3 hours each way would be too much for him.
    Dinozzo really has the most wonderful temperament (the breeder was going for it) and we all love him to bits. Do dogs feel 'slighted' when a new one is introduced or does the pack instinct take over? I realize it's probably a stupid question but I really don't want to take any chances on spoiling his character. i know we all think our dogs are awesome...he really is

Laceezmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultNot too long

I cannot begin to estimate how many hours we have logged in the car with the old dog. She rode to son's lacrosse games 2 1/2 hrs each way ten times each year for the last four years. During college visits when son was in high school We did 1800 miles in five days visiting schools. She was allowed on all campus tours except one and that school was eliminated from consideration. At one school she curled up next to the roaring fire in the library and was quite happy. When we needed a new cat she drove 8 hours with me each way so she could help pick out the cat. A three hour trip is fine. Take the dog.

Tanwen is offline Senior Member
    I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

When we went up to Birkenhead (just short of 3 hours). I took the parcel shelf out, threw an old duvet in the boot (trunk) and he slept pretty much the entire way...but then we were there for three days so he had a good break from the car. Thanks for that...if the pups are still for sale when the weather improves I will certainly take him...at the moment we're being told to go on long journeys only if absolutely essential.