Help...

Thread: Help...

MnMsMom9902 is offline Senior Member

DefaultHelp...

Miko just turned 9 months today. She is such a good dog, so sweet and good with our kids, even my young one who has special needs. I could not ask for a better dog, welllllll maybe just one little thing...

We've been taking her to obedience training ever since she was 3 months old. She is pretty good with all the commands. That is unless we come across another dog, then all trainings goes out the door -- she just want to run up and play, like NOW!

When I am walking her, everything would be honky-dorey and we have this loose leash thing going. But as soon as she spots someone else walking with their dog, the pulling by Miko is unbelievable!

I've tried placing her in a sit, but that only helps for a few seconds. I've tried distracting her with high value treats (like hotdog bits), and I was shocked when that didn't even do the trick.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Miko (April 6, 2009), CGC

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You need to train her to watch you. I'm surprised that they never covered that in your obedience classes. That way - when she starts to react to other dogs or people you can command her to watch you and make her focus on you rather than the distraction.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

MnMsMom9902 is offline Senior Member

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    You need to train her to watch you.
    Sadly, she knows that command. However, it is not one that she is good with, so needless to say when I tell her to Watch Me when she sights another dog, she will completely ignore the command.

Since I am pretty persistent , I will work Miko on it even more, and hopefully I will eventually be able to redirect her focus on other dogs to me.

Miko (April 6, 2009), CGC

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Figure out her threshold .. can you hold her attention when the other dog is 30 feet away? 50 feet? Practice until she's rock solid at that distance, then move closer to the dog. [Hopefully you have a friend with a dog that you can practice with.. otherwise, use your local dog park.. stand at a fair distance away so that the off leash dogs don't try to engage your dog during this.

Rather than insisting on a "watch me" where the dog must focuss entirely on me to the exclusion of all other stimuli - an artificially high standard for any dog, and especially a puppy - I prefer Leslie McDevitt's "Look at That" game.. where you start rewarding the dog for looking at the other dog/squirrel/child whatever, BEFORE they have a chance to start lunging/barking/jumping etc. Eventually you will get a dog that will check out the other dog, then refocus on you, then back to the dog, etc... as long as you always work around the dog's threshold, you should see a solid improvement reasonably quickly..

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Turn and walk the other way. Reward her when she follows.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola