10 wk old puppy pulling machine! too young for easy walk harness?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 wk old puppy pulling machine! too young for easy walk harness?

myFirstlab is offline Member

Thumbs up10 wk old puppy pulling machine! too young for easy walk harness?

I've tried doing the "tree" method or going the opposite way but nothing seems to work. WHen she pulls, i tell her to sit and she does, as soon as i take that first step, boom she's pulling again lol. I can change her direction and she follows but she just pulls to whichever direction i go to. lol
    * i can't get her to walk slow with me when outside. I'm thinking with the easy walk this will help in the training where i can actually have a chance to reward her and hopefully she'll learn to heel much faster than without? Our regular walks consist of either sit, or pull, nothing in between.

Also, before coming backinside the house, I tell her to sit and stay and i go first, if she insist on going in first i stop her and bring her back outside and tell her to sit again..and i just sit there and wait for her to calm down... after a couple of seconds of sitting, u can see her inching towards the door...
    and i tell her to stop, this keeps going back n forth as i wait for her to fully relax... after a couple of minutes or so, this is when she gets a lil snappy and barks at me (not a playful bark, but more like i'm mad lol)
    Its like she gets mad at me because i wont let her in, is this a sign that she hasn't submitted to us yet? or is she too young for this and just having a temper tantrum (and is this normal)??
    I have my hand to stop her from running inside and this really annoys her, what is the best way to handle this? just wait it out? keep telling her to sit? thanks for all your advice

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by myFirstlab View Post
    I've tried doing the "tree" method or going the opposite way but nothing seems to work. WHen she pulls, i tell her to sit and she does, as soon as i take that first step, boom she's pulling again lol. I can change her direction and she follows but she just pulls to whichever direction i go to. lol
    * i can't get her to walk slow with me when outside. I'm thinking with the easy walk this will help in the training where i can actually have a chance to reward her and hopefully she'll learn to heel much faster than without? Our regular walks consist of either sit, or pull, nothing in between.
    You are expecting too much too soon from this baby. At best your walks with her should be very short and certainly not in any areas frequented by strange dogs - until she is fully vaccinated at 4 months. Teaching to walk properly on a leash takes time and patience on your part.

Also, before coming backinside the house, I tell her to sit and stay and i go first, if she insist on going in first i stop her and bring her back outside and tell her to sit again..and i just sit there and wait for her to calm down... after a couple of seconds of sitting, u can see her inching towards the door...
    and i tell her to stop, this keeps going back n forth as i wait for her to fully relax... after a couple of minutes or so, this is when she gets a lil snappy and barks at me (not a playful bark, but more like i'm mad lol)
    Its like she gets mad at me because i wont let her in, is this a sign that she hasn't submitted to us yet? or is she too young for this and just having a temper tantrum (and is this normal)??
    I have my hand to stop her from running inside and this really annoys her, what is the best way to handle this? just wait it out? keep telling her to sit? thanks for all your advice
    You are wasting your time and probably frustrating the puppy with this "go in the house first" nonsense. It does not make the dog believe that they are the king of the world when they enter first.

You should be making training FUN and BRIEF. This is an infant. Work on simple things and focus on building a positive bond with her. Please don't focus on the dominance theories that are so very popular with the unintiated.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

and - yes she is too young to fit with an easy walk, I would think. You should work on flat colllar training or use a regular harness. If you make this fun and are consistent, you may not need to use other kinds of training collars/harnesses when she is bigger.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I agree with Sharon (Bigbrowndog)

don't get too wrapped up on main stream theories. It is a baby being a baby. DO NOT worry about aggression and being "leader" and learning their place in the pack. The pup is not testing you, very very few dogs even WANT to be alpha as it is alot of responsibility, most enjoy being a pack member.

Yes you want to start good habits from day 1 but these things take time and patients. Pups have the attention span of a knat so you have to know when to stop.

Keep you sit/stays VERY short. VERY. You always have to stop before the pup gets ansty at that age to be successful.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Thumbs up

Thank you, i guess i was just looking for confirmation that this is all normal for a puppy, I'll definitely go easy on the length of each command.

*on a side note, she loves to play fetch... =)

Appreciate the advice

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Try walking with kibble in your pocket, so she learns to keep an eye out for you. There's no telling when the food machine is going to pop out a kibble, so she'll concentrate a good deal on you.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post
    Try walking with kibble in your pocket, so she learns to keep an eye out for you. There's no telling when the food machine is going to pop out a kibble, so she'll concentrate a good deal on you.
    Oh this reminds me of something a trainer of mine (who competes in obedience and rally) told me:

with all new pups, she has them on a leash around her waist. she does her normal business around the house (cleaning/ogranizing and such). The pup learns that they need to pay attention to where she goes or they get pulled around. She also uses a treat pouch on her and will drop treats from heaven (in a way the pup doesn't see HER do it but it really appears to the p up to come from no where). basically this is a way to teach a pup to pay attention to the owner and follow their lead and that good things happen
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    Oh this reminds me of something a trainer of mine (who competes in obedience and rally) told me:

with all new pups, she has them on a leash around her waist. she does her normal business around the house (cleaning/ogranizing and such). The pup learns that they need to pay attention to where she goes or they get pulled around. She also uses a treat pouch on her and will drop treats from heaven (in a way the pup doesn't see HER do it but it really appears to the p up to come from no where). basically this is a way to teach a pup to pay attention to the owner and follow their lead and that good things happen
    Great tip, i'll try this when i get home!

knfevg is offline Member

I wouldn't recommend using ANY types of harness. Yes, they look cool (I HAVE A STRONG DOG WHICH CAN PULL )but they potentially can hurt their back and ruin the top lines.
    Unless there is a specific reason to use them, just don't.
    Evgeny & Niki

sarah is offline Senior Member

Try to always end training on a good note where she has done something correctly and is highly rewarded.

The bigger the deal you make out of her good work in your sessions the more she will strive to please you and do it again - especially if there are treats involved.

I spent the first twelve months at home basically with a treat pouch attached to my hip. Everytime Milly was doing something I appreciated (even if it was just sitting nicely) she got a treat and a "yay good sit" etc. Positive Reinforcement is the key .... ignore the bad stuff, consistently praise all the good stuff and she will learn very, very fast.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast