My Lab is driving me crazy!!! Please help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Lab is driving me crazy!!! Please help!

chicnhed is offline Junior Member

DefaultMy Lab is driving me crazy!!! Please help!

We have a Black lab whose a little over a year old now who is more of a pain than anything. She is constantly so excited, no one can pet her without her freaking out and going crazy. She's always been that way. She literally is vibrating with excitement at all times.

She's very smart, but not being about to control her excitement makes her forget everything she is not allowed to do. We give her plenty of attention, but still she's constantly on edge. We have friends over fairly often and they can't even pet her without her freaking out and peeing. Our friends and family know her as the "spaz dog."

She has started a new thing of whining when shes in her crate (when we're sleeping). When we ignored her whines, she started barking. If we tell her to hush she immediately stops, but she'll do the same thing in 2 hours.

It's infuriating. I feel like i cant enjoy her and have a deep relationship with her because she is too excited.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

welcome.

how much, and what type, of exericse does your dog get on a daily basis?
    How much training have you done with her (both classes and at home).

honestly, it sounds like an undexercised dog who is also not getting enough mental stimulation (labs are a working breed and thus usually smart dogs that need mental stimulation).

having said that, some dogs need to be taught how to "relax" in the house and how to properly great people, this would fall into training.

ETA: you were given some good ideas on the submissive peeing awhile back
    https://justlabradors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2780

As for the crying in the crate, i would pick a few days and ignore completely (no hush no nothing). yes it means a few days of no sleep but eventually the dog will hopefully learn crying gets them nothing. But honestly, if you can get her more physical and mental exercise daily it would probably great help alot of your issues. As well as some regular training.
    Last edited by Tanya; 12-30-2009 at 11:38 AM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

We've only done at home training. She knows sit, stay, heel, lay down, walk (on her hind legs), hush, back-up, bang, and tricks like that. She's really good at learning those. We wanted to put her in classes, but we both got laid off this past year, and I'm still looking for work, so money is tight. Are there alternatives?

We live in a downtown area, so we have a backyard where she can run around, but not where she can really run free. our house is an old house (built in 1900) and it's 1,700 sq ft. I was worried that space and exercise would be an issue.

I'm interested in training her how to relax. any tips?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

What type of exercise and how much is she getting a day (specifically?) A yard is not exercise it is a space. Are you playing fetch with her? if so how long? walks? Long walks (even on leash) of 45+ minutes a day and 15-20mins sessions of fetch in the backyard (with you throwing the ball). Putting a dog in the backyard to play alone (usually) means the dog is not getting exercise. VERY few dogs will run around alone enough to be cosindered "exercise"

Before working on teaching her to calm down in the house you will need to give her sufficient physical exercise. But some tips are to teach her to go to her bed (which helps with mental stimulation by teaching a new trick) or a particular spot (easier to have a carpet or bed or crate to deliminte her space). then have her go there and ignore when she spazes out as well. when teaching her to meet new people, have her on leash and have some guests help in the training (turn their back and ignore her when she is jumping/exited) and teaching them to only pet her when she is calm and behaved.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Totally agree with Tanya. She is overstimulated from not getting enough exercise. Do you take her for daily walks? If not, since you are both laid off right now, try taking her for a nice loooong walk. Letting her out in the backyard by herself will do absolutely nothing for her, except increase her boredom.

My three gets 2 walks daily. If they miss one, my youngest (2) bounces off the freaking walls. When she gets her walks, she's zonked out. I'm tellin' ya, give it a try. You will be amazed.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

bacsibob is offline Senior Member

Our two are poorly trained but their behavior is much better when they get a lot of exercise. These are very energetic and athletic dogs and they NEED to work. I've found that, at a minimum, two 10-15 minute sessions a day of tennis ball retrieving..I have a slingshot..keeps them reasonably calm.

Max, the two y/o, will even bring a ball to the top of the stairs, drop it and go get it several times. If I'm slow to take them out, he will "throw" his ball at me. If I wait longer, they will both sit and glare at me. Any more delay and they start "talking" to me.

They are, of course, waterproof and impervious to the cold, so weather doesn't matter....to them. Neither rain nor snow nor sleet nor dark of night will keep us from our appointed play time.

Labs: The Natural Antidepressant

We do a lot of fetching in the house. We'll play fetch (her favorite game) inside for about 5-10 min usually every other day on average so I'll make sure to do that more often. When it's not 20 degrees and icy outside we'll play Frisbee with her outside for long periods, and that gets her tired for about 2 hours haha. She's really good at frisbee and she's starting to catch it in mid air, so thats neat.

As far as walking, we dont do that much at all, and its a problem. This winter has been harsh in VA and theres been a lot of snow and ice and it is very cold and Alice will get too cold after about 5 minutes and want to go back inside. Our part of the neighborhood had some bad (crime) spots and there are a lot of sketchy people walking around. I've tried taking her for a walk a few times but she forgets to heel and gets bored walking and starts pulling and jumping against the leash. We got a choke collar to fix that but she will still pull until she chokes herself. is there anything we can do about that?

This is a photo of her so you guys can put a face to who we're talkign about =)
    Last edited by chicnhed; 12-30-2009 at 01:12 PM.

ok - you really need a plan for exercise. Labs are an active breed, even two 5-10 mins sessions of fetch in the house is not NEARLY enough for a young lab. Lots of people here have dogs who get 1.5 hrs of exercise everyday. Now, I am not saying you have to JUMP right to that amount, but I would try to start with 45 minutes a day at a minimum, a mixture of walking and fetching.

Are you sure she is cold? Can you buy some booties to help? She really shouldn't be that cold that fast. The structured exercise of walking is important even if you can only get 20 minutes in the cold. THen do two 15 minutes sessions of good hard fetching and you are starting something (outside fetching, seperate the two sessions).

You can work on training but until she gets the crazies out of her you will be fighting a hard battle. Labs NEED daily exercise - closer to 45 minutes to an hour a day minimum at that age.

For walking, you need to teach her leash manners. IT doesn't come natural. Chokers are not the best and need to be used properly, and when used properly the dog shouldn't be choking at all. You may want to try a prong collar (but get it fitted properly or it will not work) or a martingale. When she pulls you can either stop (be a tree) or turn abruptly 180 degrees - so that she learns that pulling gets her NO WHERE! I would do a good session of fetch before startig this at first as you won't get far on your walk.

Thanks! this has been super informative! I'll try these things now!

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Lovely looking dog.
    Tanya is so right.
    Kassy was my first Lab and I had no idea. One day I read a book and it went on about all the things you are saying and as I sat and nodded thinking just like my son was when he was bored.
    So to work Kassy and I went. The more I excersied her brain and her body the better she became. We developed a bond I never thought possible between a human and a dog. She was an amazing dog. People used to say it was good breeding. No I worked hard. Her and I worked hard.
    Little did I know one day I would prove that.

When she passed I adopted her untrained litter mate. He hadn't been house trained. He looked like her, but the most disobedient, wild thing you could find.
    This proved to me training both brain and body is what made Kassy a good dog.
    Four years later Ernie is a good dog. He will never be the most obedient, but with hard work and lots of patience I have another heart dog and soul mate.

Hang in there. It can be done and you will reap the best reward ever.
    I mind a 2 yr old Border Collie and can never keep up with her demands. When it rains or cold I stand inside the house throwing the ball out to her. Takes longer, but it is something to get rid of her excess energy. Even indoor fetch uses up some. I play fetch before I take her for a walk. The turn around suddenly on the leash didn't work for her, as it had for Ernie and Kass. I did the cooked spagetti, raw, then stand like a tree and treat when she came back. Find a method of training in anything that suits you and your dog.
    Last edited by kassabella; 01-05-2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Added Gemma

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast