SO EXCITED when meeting someone

Thread: SO EXCITED when meeting someone

mosmama is offline Senior Member

DefaultSO EXCITED when meeting someone

Limo is phychotic when meeting someone new or even seeing Grandma when she comes over. I'm working on having him sit/stay until he calms down before he gets any lovin's. His feet will dance, he'll whine and just be all over the place.....plus, he's a little jumpy (WHICH I WON'T STAND FOR).

Honestly, for anyone to be able to pet him, they'd have to stay for an hour or so until he calms down. Any other ideas on how I can help him with his self-control???
    Mo
    May 17, 1998 - May 20, 2009

The Love of My Life
    Rest in peace my Sweet Chocolate
    I Love You and Miss You so much

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'd leash him and put him in a sit stay. Your visitor should completly ignore him until he is behaving as you wish - and then they should treat. Have people test him for you - set up visitors to come in and leave several times over several sessions.

Or a more short term solution - crate him when the visitor is expected and let him out after they have been there for a while. When Diesel was younger I would do this and it made a HUGE difference in how he acted when he was finally allowed out.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

When you let Diesel out, did he fly like a rocket? I can see Limo doing that.

He's also a little jumpy, still. I think I'll just have to keep him on leash until I get the desired behavior....but....will he figure it out that when he's on leash he has to behave and when he's off he goes nuts? I guess if he does that I'd just put him back on leash.
    Mo

The Love of My Life

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mosmama View Post
    When you let Diesel out, did he fly like a rocket?
    No he did not. I think that being at the door the dog feeds off the excitement of the new arrivals - once that is gone they react more appropriately. I did expect him to be supercharged when I did this the first time and let him out - and he surprised me by keeping his cool!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

I tried leaving him in his crate the one day my mom (Grandma) stopped by. How long should I leave him in there? It didn't seem to do much. He bolted out of there after about 10 min and was crazy excited. I REALLY wish he would calm down. He gets so dang excited, but it's not pleasant for me or whomever is over or even if I'm over someone's house with him
    Mo

The Love of My Life

LIMO