A couple training/infatuations ??

Thread: A couple training/infatuations ??

mosmama is offline Senior Member

DefaultA couple training/infatuations ??

Limo is infatuated with socks!!! I can barely put a pair on without him trying to grab them. Or if a pair falls off the washer (clean) he wants to grab them (he is learning out!). It drives me crazy. I end up putting him in either a sit or down until I can get my shoes on.

Also, is it possible to teach a 9 mo old to poop in one spot and not be a "walking pooper"? Limo walks a mile to poop and it sure can be hard to find it all when scooping! LOL
    Mo
    May 17, 1998 - May 20, 2009

The Love of My Life
    Rest in peace my Sweet Chocolate
    I Love You and Miss You so much

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Limo is infatuated with socks!!! I can barely put a pair on without him trying to grab them. Or if a pair falls off the washer (clean) he wants to grab them (he is learning out!). It drives me crazy. I end up putting him in either a sit or down until I can get my shoes on.
    I think that's common with many Labs. Part of it may be their fascinationj with our feet and the odors they detect on our feet. Maybe there's still a trace of that odor detectable to a Lab's super nose even after they're washed?

Count your blessings that it's centered on socks rather than shoes. Shoes are more expensive to repair or replace.

In my 8 years on JL, I bet I've read over 300 posts from people complaining that their Lab at a sock or pooped out one or more.

I think putting him in a sit or down is a very effective thing to do.

And there's always the age-old adage that applies, "Out of sight, out of reach, is usually out of a Lab's mouth."

Also, is it possible to teach a 9 mo old to poop in one spot and not be a "walking pooper"? Limo walks a mile to poop and it sure can be hard to find it all when scooping!
    I sympathize -- my Puff's always been a walker, too. Never over a mile but usually over half of a yard or half a meter.

I envy those Lab owners whose Labs stack up the poo in one easily grasped pile.

What I've learned to do is first start picking up the last small bits of poop that get deposited and work my way back to the larger, more easily identified, first stools that come out. Using that method, I less seldom miss any of Puff's deposits.

Maybe if you kept Limo on a leash that would restrict the amount of walking while pooping?

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 12-21-2009 at 10:34 PM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks Bob. What's funny is when he is on leash and pooping, he will circle me...LOL

Mo was a walking pooper too. I should just be thankful he IS pooping rather than not
    Mo

The Love of My Life

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

Our old Lab, Abby (RIP) and now our 3-year old, Jeb, graduated from chewing them to just taking socks to bed with them. I think they like to have something with our scent with them. I don't mind as long as they don't chew. I think it's a Lab/retriever thing. Jeb also has an underwear "thing."
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

Limo just wants to eat everything! Some of his new (cheap) toys he got for xmas have already been taken away because he destroys them so quickly. He chews thru ropes in no time flat! Even nylabones are destroyed quick. He is definitely a POWER CHEWER.

I'd be afraid to give him any socks because I believe he would chew them up and digest them.
    Mo

The Love of My Life

LIMO