More Crate questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Crate questions

Wesley is offline Junior Member

DefaultMore Crate questions

I see a couple of posts on crate barking and I have tried just about everything suggested. Covering the crate with a blanket, putting his favorite toys in their with him, put a worn t-shirt of mine in there, crawled in the crate with him even, we pay absolutely no attention to him while he is in there nothing works, the second you close that gate he freaks out. I put him in at 11pm, and come back down to take him out at 3am, then at 6am to take him out again. He literally barks/whimpers the entire time for hours on end. Its ruthless. Any general rule of thumb on how long it takes for him to stop? Days...weeks?! He is currently just over 7 weeks old. Tonight will be the 4th night in the crate. Other than the crate, he is great! Any suggestions? or just keep doing what im doing and he will eventually get used to the crate?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Put an old wind up clock, tick tock tick tock, near the crate.
    Turn on some soft music to play during the night.
    Is there something soft for him to lay on or against, and durable enough to withstand chewing?

Just throwing ideas at you. 7 weeks old is pretty young to be away from the mother and litter.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You can try putting the crate in your bedroom. If he can see/hear/sense that he is not alone that may help him settle better.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'll give soft music a try tonight. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you know how it turns out. Our bedroom is upstairs and the stairs are pretty steep he would have to be carried up and down we will see how music goes.
    Last edited by Wesley; 09-24-2009 at 03:03 PM. Reason: i fail at spelling.

with my pups i put a hotwater bottle wrapped in thick towel in with them and a nice cuddly toy to snuggle into.
    After a few nights they get settled into routine and i take out bottle.
    Alana, Grace and Sophie.
    Dogs are the best kind of friends, they wag their tails and not their tongues!

Well last night I tried soft music, which did not change anything. Just to give you an idea of how bad it is. I put him in the crate at 10:30pm, he barked constant with about 2 or 3 breaks for 3 minute intervals until 2am I took him out at 2 he went potty both ways I tried to lure him back in with treats which does not work he refuses to go in. Then from 2am until 6:30am he did the same thing barking consistently with a couple breaks for about 2-3 minutes... Is there any other options besides crate? I really try to make it an enjoyable experience for him but theres just something about it he wants nothing to do with. I'm really not to concerned with the noise because my room is far enough away where if i turn on a fan I cant hear it, but i feel bad for the little guy he is on his 5th crate night and barks literally the entire night. When we take him out of the crate in the morning, he is just so tired from barking the entire night that is immediately goes to sleep for extended amounts of time.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Its tough, I know.

You are probably making progress, and one nighht he will just settle in. He wants to be with you.

You could give serious thought to putting a crate in your room. Maybe borrow one until he is comfortable being alone in a room without you. Since it would just be until you get through this, a small one for sleep time only could work.

You aren't making visits to him when he is barking, are you? That just rewards the behaviour and makes it harder to stop.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

When I got Puff (9 wks. old), I put a sleeping bag on the floor in the kitchen and slept with her there cuddled next to me for a few nights until she settled down. Then I put her crate next to my bed with my unwashed underwear and socks in the crate on her bed. Also played soft classical music through the night.

She made the adjustment without much trouble.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Good idea Bob, ill give that a shot tonight. HersheyK he gets absolutely no reward will he is barking in the crate he is ignored. Tonight ill sleep with him downstairs if i see improvement after a couple nights ill bring the crate upstairs. Thank you all for the suggestions.
    Last edited by Wesley; 09-25-2009 at 02:03 PM.

Last night was much better, I laid in front of the crate for the night. He barked initially for about 15 minutes then slowly went quiet. He stayed quiet for an hour or 2 then started back up, slowly going quiet about 15 minutes later. Until about 7am where he started up again. Much better than barking the entire night. Im going to sleep there again tonight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast