At what age do labs start to calm down???

Thread: At what age do labs start to calm down???

Max091007 is offline Junior Member

DefaultAt what age do labs start to calm down???

I'm the one with the out of control lab post. I read all the replies and took Max for one on one training and have started walking him 2 miles everyday after I get home from work and on weekends. I've been keeping up with the training at home and trying to exercise him more by walking but I have to say, this dog just has endless energy. I took him for his walk tonight (actually ran most of it) got him home and within 10 minutes he was at it again, barking at me, trying to nip at my hands, jumping on me, running around the living room like a maniac. Now when I try to get him to stop (which is not without yelling at him and holding him down even though I try hard not to, but it's not easy) he'll raise the fur on his back and show his teeth in a mean way. I just need to know, is this the adolescent stage and he will get past this? What age will he start to calm down? I'm trying every alternative to correct his behavior to avoid what I don't want to do which is get rid of him, but nothing seems to work so I'm wondering if this may be a temporary thing due to his age. I've contacted an invisible fence company to see about having one installed. I'm thinking if I can just let him out and he can run his butt off in the yard, that will help drain some of his energy too. It's really my last resort at this point. If he doesn't calm down or learn to respect/listen to me, I'm afraid I won't have any choice but to give him up. I can't keep doing this. I want to relax when I get home. I should be able to relax in my own house and not have to come home after working all day and have to deal with this dog trying to attack me. It will just kill me to get rid of him. I don't want to do that, I just want him to listen and behave.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Scoper50 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: At what age do labs start to calm down???

I think your dog has some serious problems. Most young dogs are hyper with lots of energy, but you are describing a crazy dog. I don't think this is a normal thing he's going to grow out of. I think it's a training issue. It sounds like he believes that he is the alpha male and runs the show. I think that once you establish dominance things might change. But I'm not an expert by any means. I wish the best of luck to you. It doesn't sound like very much fun at all.

zeek is offline Junior Member

DefaultRe: At what age do labs start to calm down???

Hi There! I was wondering how things are going with Max? i didn't see any other responses after the one in March.