Crate Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crate Question

Boston is offline Senior Member

DefaultCrate Question

Hello. My lab puppy willl be coming home in two weeks from the breeder! She will be 8 weeks old. I have taken off the first week from work to help her get acclimated. My question is about after that. While working should I leave her in a crate knowing I can only get back to take her out during lunch?? it will about 8 hrs (with one time out) Or should i build a pen with a designated area for her to relieve herself?? I dont want to start her on bad habits(going in the house) but I am afraid she wont be able to hold it that long. What do yall think??

Tim

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Hello. My lab puppy willl be coming home in two weeks from the breeder! She will be 8 weeks old. I have taken off the first week from work to help her get acclimated. My question is about after that. While working should I leave her in a crate knowing I can only get back to take her out during lunch?? it will about 8 hrs (with one time out) Or should i build a pen with a designated area for her to relieve herself?? I dont want to start her on bad habits(going in the house) but I am afraid she wont be able to hold it that long. What do yall think??

Tim
    Do you have a friend or neighbour you can trust implicitly to let her out during the day?

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Crate on day 1. She will learn that it is her place. Safe place. Avoiding it on day 1 and then deciding that you need to will only make it harder. Figure that it will be her home for about a year when you are out, or she WILL destroy your house. Going to the bathroom inside will not be your big issue. She will chew on anything she can as she teethes and just being a mouthy breed to start with.

Our Hershey Kisses loved her crate. It was her place. Put toys in it. Leave treats in it for her. Keep it clean.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyK's Dad View Post
    Crate on day 1. She will learn that it is her place. Safe place. Avoiding it on day 1 and then deciding that you need to will only make it harder. Figure that it will be her home for about a year when you are out, or she WILL destroy your house. Going to the bathroom inside will not be your big issue. She will chew on anything she can as she teethes and just being a mouthy breed to start with.

Our Hershey Kisses loved her crate. It was her place. Put toys in it. Leave treats in it for her. Keep it clean.
    I would defintiely want to do this but is 4 hrs too long for a puppy to be in a crate?? I dont want to her to be in pain needing to relieve herself.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

HK was left for 4 hours at a time almost from day 1. Okay, DW and I cheated a little, maybe it was closer to 3 hours. Very few accidents in her crate. Others can speak with more experience, but I think she slept most of the time we were away, and didn't have to go that much. But when we were home, I took her out every hour, or any time I thought she was thinking about going. I think activity tends to stimulate the need to void.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Thanks. So 4 hrs would be ok. What if there are days I cannot make it during lunch. Would it be counterproductive to leave her in a pen on these days so she doesnt need to make it 8 hrs in a crate needing to relieve herself?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Thanks. So 4 hrs would be ok. What if there are days I cannot make it during lunch. Would it be counterproductive to leave her in a pen on these days so she doesnt need to make it 8 hrs in a crate needing to relieve herself?
    You should find a back up person to help. The more scrupulously you can adhere to a schedule, the quicker she will house train.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

fireman18 is offline Junior Member

if she is going to be and inside/outside dog i would use a pin outside just to keep her from having to big of an area to adjust to. Use the crate when you bring her in to teach her to go to bed. We had CoCo crate trained and accident free withe in the first month doing this. She would stay outside during the day with Sampson with no problems. Good luck. Consitence is the key. Alway's either feed inside or outside and be sure to get her out shortly after eating and drinking if inside. Our work day's are about 10 hr's a day. plenty of toy's to keep her company when away also.

Quote Originally Posted by fireman18 View Post
    if she is going to be and inside/outside dog i would use a pin outside just to keep her from having to big of an area to adjust to. Use the crate when you bring her in to teach her to go to bed. We had CoCo crate trained and accident free withe in the first month doing this. She would stay outside during the day with Sampson with no problems. Good luck. Consitence is the key. Alway's either feed inside or outside and be sure to get her out shortly after eating and drinking if inside. Our work day's are about 10 hr's a day. plenty of toy's to keep her company when away also.
    I unfortunately cannot keep her outside during the day as I share my house with another couple upstairs. I was goig to build a pen that would be left indoors with the crate in it as well a a padded area to go to the bathroom. I think most days I can get home to take her out but not always and i don't know anyone in the area that can take her out for me. I also cannot afford a walker/day care (very expensive in my area.)

MyAngelPuppy is offline Member

This is my view...and I could be wrong...but it works for us.

As a puppy, if they have to go...more than likely the will go. So, don't think about your puppy being in "pain". If you will eventually have to leave her in her crate for 8 hours every once in a while, then she will eventually have to learn to hold it for 8 hours. You have to expect there to be something to clean up when you get home after a long period of time, but I don't see it as being a big deal. When Angel was a puppy she had some accidents in her crate. But, once she was house broken...she had less and less and before I knew it...she's perfectly fine. The only issue I ever had was her playing in her mess while I was away and coming home to a poo/pee puppy.

So, I agree...it may take a little more time to get her completely house trained...but I wouldn't worry so much.

I also agree that I would rather crate train than have a lab puppy in the house where they could raise holy heck. (mine flooded my bathroom once...no lie!)
    Mistie
    "Mommy" to :

"Aunt" and temporary "mommy" to:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast