Bathroom problem...
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Bathroom problem...

  1. #1
    freqsounds is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1

    DefaultBathroom problem...

    I have a 6 month old black lab, and she has some problems going on...

    She knows when she needs to go to the bathroom. She knows she needs to go outside. I can tell when she has to go ONLY if I see her. She doesn't bark or paw at the door or make any obvious noise to let someone know she needs to go out. When she has to go out, she will walk toward the door, sniff the crack in the door, and walk away. If I don't see it, she'll go to the bathroom right behind the couch. I really don't understand, and it's really getting on my nerves. What should I do?

    Also, when she goes outside to use the bathroom, she will run back and forth constantly, then stop and observe her surroundings. So by the time she's all done doing what she needs to do, we've been outside 20-30 minutes. Why is she doing this? How can I shorten her bathroom breaks?

    Another question... She just recently started chewing on our furniture. We've had her for about 2 months now and she has plenty of toys... now she's ruining our furniture. Any ideas??

    Just a background, she has been crate trained, and she gets her food and water put up at night. She has no problem at night time, it's just during the day. I plan on getting her in some classes with Petsmart, but I was wondering if there was anything I could do until then.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    sarah's Avatar
    sarah is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sydney AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    8,376

    DefaultRe: Bathroom problem...

    Quote Originally Posted by freqsounds
    I have a 6 month old black lab, and she has some problems going on...

    She knows when she needs to go to the bathroom. She knows she needs to go outside. I can tell when she has to go ONLY if I see her. She doesn't bark or paw at the door or make any obvious noise to let someone know she needs to go out. When she has to go out, she will walk toward the door, sniff the crack in the door, and walk away. If I don't see it, she'll go to the bathroom right behind the couch. I really don't understand, and it's really getting on my nerves. What should I do?
    Answer: Take her out at half hour intervals. She's going inside because you are not being vigilant about taking her out. How else is she supposed to get out when she has to go? Turn the door knob herself?

    Quote Originally Posted by freqsounds
    Also, when she goes outside to use the bathroom, she will run back and forth constantly, then stop and observe her surroundings. So by the time she's all done doing what she needs to do, we've been outside 20-30 minutes. Why is she doing this? How can I shorten her bathroom breaks?
    ANSWER: Does she have a pee word? Ours is "wees" when I say "Milly - Wees" she knows she's out there to go potty. Put her on a leash and stand there and be un-interesting. Don't make eye contact and wait for her to pee. When she pee's SAY "Yes!! Wees!" in a HAPPY voice. Treat and praise ALOT!!! Peeing should be a GOOD thing. Keep the same word for pooing too so it doesnt confuse her. Eventually you won't need the leash you should be able to tell her Wee's (or other suitable word u choose) and she'll know what you want. Constant treats AFTER peeing will ensure speedy potty breaks for you and her.

    Quote Originally Posted by freqsounds
    Another question... She just recently started chewing on our furniture. We've had her for about 2 months now and she has plenty of toys... now she's ruining our furniture. Any ideas??
    She is probably teething. If you are not interacting with her you should put her in a crate with a suitable chew toy like a kong with peanut butter smeared inside or a bit of mushed up banana or a smear of honey. Wet a tea towel, knot it and freeze it. Frozen tea towels knotted will help her gums as she knaws on it. Just like a babies teething ring. It's not HER fault, she isn't doing it to be naughty. SHE's just TEETHING ok? Her gums hurt and she needs some relief.

    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia






  4. #3
    kaznalf's Avatar
    kaznalf is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,737

    DefaultRe: Bathroom problem...

    Quote Originally Posted by sarah
    Quote Originally Posted by freqsounds
    I have a 6 month old black lab, and she has some problems going on...

    She knows when she needs to go to the bathroom. She knows she needs to go outside. I can tell when she has to go ONLY if I see her. She doesn't bark or paw at the door or make any obvious noise to let someone know she needs to go out. When she has to go out, she will walk toward the door, sniff the crack in the door, and walk away. If I don't see it, she'll go to the bathroom right behind the couch. I really don't understand, and it's really getting on my nerves. What should I do?
    Ditto everything Sarah has said..........also exercise! A tired dog is a good dog
    Answer: Take her out at half hour intervals. She's going inside because you are not being vigilant about taking her out. How else is she supposed to get out when she has to go? Turn the door knob herself?

    Quote Originally Posted by freqsounds
    Also, when she goes outside to use the bathroom, she will run back and forth constantly, then stop and observe her surroundings. So by the time she's all done doing what she needs to do, we've been outside 20-30 minutes. Why is she doing this? How can I shorten her bathroom breaks?
    ANSWER: Does she have a pee word? Ours is "wees" when I say "Milly - Wees" she knows she's out there to go potty. Put her on a leash and stand there and be un-interesting. Don't make eye contact and wait for her to pee. When she pee's SAY "Yes!! Wees!" in a HAPPY voice. Treat and praise ALOT!!! Peeing should be a GOOD thing. Keep the same word for pooing too so it doesnt confuse her. Eventually you won't need the leash you should be able to tell her Wee's (or other suitable word u choose) and she'll know what you want. Constant treats AFTER peeing will ensure speedy potty breaks for you and her.

    Quote Originally Posted by freqsounds
    Another question... She just recently started chewing on our furniture. We've had her for about 2 months now and she has plenty of toys... now she's ruining our furniture. Any ideas??
    She is probably teething. If you are not interacting with her you should put her in a crate with a suitable chew toy like a kong with peanut butter smeared inside or a bit of mushed up banana or a smear of honey. Wet a tea towel, knot it and freeze it. Frozen tea towels knotted will help her gums as she knaws on it. Just like a babies teething ring. It's not HER fault, she isn't doing it to be naughty. SHE's just TEETHING ok? Her gums hurt and she needs some relief.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25