Retrieving question

Thread: Retrieving question

Woodys Southern Belle is offline Junior Member

DefaultRetrieving question

Belle just turned 10 weeks old, and obviously is very much still a baby. She has days where she is excellent on the retrieve...usually with a small Dokken quail dummy, but othertimes with a tennis ball. This pup was bought to become a duck dog. I have raised over a dozen of goldens over the past few years and they have turned out excellent, but it's been about 18 months since I've worked a fresh pup. I usually stop throwing right while she's doing well, so as to always leave her wanting more. But then she has days where she is so ADD and will fetch the bird, then drop it and start sniffing and biting flowers, etc. Is this normal? I don't want to push her too hard.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Retrieving question

I think at her age thats pretty normal and your doing right by leaving her wanting more

Felix is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Woodys Southern Belle
    Belle just turned 10 weeks old, and obviously is very much still a baby. She has days where she is excellent on the retrieve...usually with a small Dokken quail dummy, but othertimes with a tennis ball. This pup was bought to become a duck dog. I have raised over a dozen of goldens over the past few years and they have turned out excellent, but it's been about 18 months since I've worked a fresh pup. I usually stop throwing right while she's doing well, so as to always leave her wanting more. But then she has days where she is so ADD and will fetch the bird, then drop it and start sniffing and biting flowers, etc. Is this normal? I don't want to push her too hard.
    Just keep on going .. And keep in mind .. 10 weeks IS still a baby-pup

So, the serious training of retrieving will come .. As soon she's ready for it

And how could they sell a dog as a: "duck dog" ?! .. I mean, my parents could be rocket scientists, but that doesnt mean, that i also be one, if you get what i mean

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Normal. You want to keep them keen. I wouldn't even be doing retrieving with her every day - less is better!

sarah is offline Senior Member

I would do what you are doing and make it REALLY FUN for her. Don't do too many retrieves and always stop on a good retrieve with lots of praise and a special treat.

And also, where are your pictures of this 10week old cutie?? We want to see her!!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Dani is offline Senior Member

She's a pup...on the days she's not interested, don't push it. On the days she is, leave her wanting more...but never force it or you'll pay for it later.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

traininglabs is offline Junior Member

What would be a good age to start expecting more from her? I'm curious, because I've been wondering this myself lately. How old should a puppy be before you really start expecting her to do well? Or do you simply wait for her to get serious, and if she doesn't then that's an indication that she wouldn't make a very good duck dog?
    -Lauren Schwaar<br />____________________________<br />FREE labrador training teleseminar with a professional dog trainer:<br />http://www.trainingyourlab.com/trainercall<br /><br />

Felix is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by traininglabs
    What would be a good age to start expecting more from her? I'm curious, because I've been wondering this myself lately. How old should a puppy be before you really start expecting her to do well? Or do you simply wait for her to get serious, and if she doesn't then that's an indication that she wouldn't make a very good duck dog?
    Not evry person on this planet is a marathon runner, so also for labradors .. they dont get even close to be a duck or a gun dog

So, you could in a playfull way start retrieving not demanding serious 'stuff' from such small puppy. When a dog is getting the adult status (between 12 and 24 months), then the serious stuff come's around the corner ...