Guard training for Labradors a no-no?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guard training for Labradors a no-no?

traininglabs is offline Junior Member

DefaultGuard training for Labradors a no-no?

I just posted a little blurb on my blog about the benefits of guard-training labrador retrievers (but ONLY if you have a knowledgeable trainer to guide you and perhaps do it for you), and I got a comment pretty quickly that thought any sort of guard dog training for labradors is a bad idea. Any thoughts? I'm of the opinion that it can be very helpful in certain situations.
    -Lauren Schwaar<br />____________________________<br />FREE labrador training teleseminar with a professional dog trainer:<br />http://www.trainingyourlab.com/trainercall<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Guard training for Labradors a no-no?

I dont think labs make good guard dogs at all they love people too much

Felix is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by traininglabs
    I just posted a little blurb on my blog about the benefits of guard-training labrador retrievers (but ONLY if you have a knowledgeable trainer to guide you and perhaps do it for you), and I got a comment pretty quickly that thought any sort of guard dog training for labradors is a bad idea. Any thoughts? I'm of the opinion that it can be very helpful in certain situations.
    I've trained guard and defence dogs for the Royal Dutch Airforce and for the Dutch MP, ofcourse you could use for example a Jack Russel Terriėr, but i doubt if that dogs gets the proper effect

And yes, a German or Belgium shepperd whould have more succes as such a dog then a Labrador whould do

So, if it is strictly for training .. It could be *just* a idea, but in my opinion, you could better get a dog that suits youre needs better for this type of training, and let the Labrador (or any other type of retriever) doing the 'thing' he's good at -> Retrieving!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kaznalf
    I dont think labs make good guard dogs at all they love people too much
    True .. but most thing(s) could be trained in and out

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I agree with Felix that there are many other dogs more suitable for guard dog training than Labs. For one thing, so many people assume Labs are so people friendly they might not pay sufficient respect to a Lab.

As for
    a great deal will depend on the Lab's early social experience. If a Lab has been properly socialized around people and other dogs during its first 6 months of life, it could be very hard or impossible to change the temperament and reactions later on.

Converesely, if a Lab has not been properly socialized around people and other dogs during its first 6 months of life, it could be impossible to achieve that at an older age.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    I agree with Felix that there are many other dogs more suitable for guard dog training than Labs. For one thing, so many people assume Labs are so people friendly they might not pay sufficient respect to a Lab.

As for
    a great deal will depend on the Lab's early social experience. If a Lab has been properly socialized around people and other dogs during its first 6 months of life, it could be very hard or impossible to change the temperament and reactions later on.

Converesely, if a Lab has not been properly socialized around people and other dogs during its first 6 months of life, it could be impossible to achieve that at an older age.
    This counts for all type of dogs, not only Labradors

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Any thoughts? I'm of the opinion that it can be very helpful in certain situations.
    I disagree. Training a Lab to perform as a guard dog is like training a Bulldog to be a bird dog, or a Basset Hound to pull a sled. Most breeds of dog are or were bred for a purpose, and for Labs, a guard dog is not it. They are retrievers and do not have the temperament required for this type of work. CAN you train a Lab to bite a sleeve? sure. Would I want to encourage that behaviour in a breed famed for their soft mouth? no. Would a Lab that had been trained to bite a sleeve likely bite a person, minus a sleeve, in a real situation? I highly doubt it.

This then the begs the question of why you would want to train your Lab to bite. Simply put, this is just not necessary when generally speaking a barking dog is more than enough of a deterrent.

Frankly, the last thing I would want to do with such a gentle tempered breed is to encourage aggressive behaviour (even 'controlled' aggression). With other breeds that have a developed prey and defensive drive, protection work comes naturally. With Labs, they would need to be pushed to encourage this type of behaviour which is unnatural to the breed.

sarah is offline Senior Member

^^^ agree with Trickster. Guard work is not in their genetic makeup like other dog breeds. I'm sure it's possible but you just don't get a Lab for it to attack an intruder. :no: You can get a Lab to effectively deter intruders by barking loudly without too much trouble or even lick them to death but not attack them... it's just not in their nature.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Dani is offline Senior Member

Please tell me how a 17 year old is running a training site for Labradors when I don't think you even own one?

and i concur with trixter.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    Please tell me how a 17 year old is running a training site for Labradors when I don't think you even own one?

and i concur with trixter.
    Running a website about training dogs isnt stupid, even for a person who is just 17 years of age. But, dont understand, that a dog who isnt even a guard dog at all, try to train to be one .. Hmm, i dont know in wich corner i must place this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast