Crating

Thread: Crating

mml4a66 is offline Junior Member

DefaultCrating

Hi all! Quick question about crating. Our puppy is 9 months old and because of our work schedule she is crated for the better part of the day (aside from two walks - late morning and late afternoon from the dog walker).

I've started leaving her gated in our kitchen during the day but this has produced mix results. Somedays she's fine and then others, she leaves the dog walker a treat like chewing up the baseboard. No doubt about, she likes her crate so maybe I should continue to crate her?

Any tips on succesfully "uncrating" our dog?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Crating

Personally if she is still chewing like that I'd continue to crate. 9 months is still very young - I wouldn't have trusted mine at that age at all! mine started getting some more freedom at 12 months, which was when they eventually grew of the chewing everything and anything phase. One of my boys wasn't de-crated until he was 18 months old.

So, my suggestion would be to crate and give her another chance in a couple of months.

Felix is offline Senior Member

If i have such busy schedule, i wouldnt buy a dog at all

But thats strictly my opinion

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Felix

that's harsh, especially as the poster is having their dog walked TWICE during the day (and it wasn't stated but I would assume the owner takes care of the dog both in the morning and in the evening - play and walks)

Reality is most owners have full time jobs, taking them away from the dog for 8hrs. Do we like it? no. But as long as we make it up to the dog before we go to work and after I think it evens out - most dogs do not appear unhappy with the situation.

I can't imagine a world where only people who are home all day (or do not leave for more than 4hrs) could have dogs.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

If your puppy is still chewing, even intermittently, I'd still crate her.

My older lab was either at daycare or crated while I was at work until he was nearly 4 but every dog is different. Some are lifers, some are reliable much younger.

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

sarah is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    Personally if she is still chewing like that I'd continue to crate. 9 months is still very young - I wouldn't have trusted mine at that age at all! mine started getting some more freedom at 12 months, which was when they eventually grew of the chewing everything and anything phase. One of my boys wasn't de-crated until he was 18 months old.

So, my suggestion would be to crate and give her another chance in a couple of months.
    agree! Milly is ok uncrated in a room BUT anymore than 3 hours and it's a worry. She is almost 14 months old. I'd continue to crate and try again after 1 year.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

lablover88 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya

that's harsh, especially as the poster is having their dog walked TWICE during the day (and it wasn't stated but I would assume the owner takes care of the dog both in the morning and in the evening - play and walks)

Reality is most owners have full time jobs, taking them away from the dog for 8hrs. Do we like it? no. But as long as we make it up to the dog before we go to work and after I think it evens out - most dogs do not appear unhappy with the situation.

Well stated. I completely agree and find take offense to the suggestion that those of us who work full time jobs are unable to care for our pets.

I can't imagine a world where only people who are home all day (or do not leave for more than 4hrs) could have dogs.

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

Jeb is still crated at the ripe old age of 2. he is a very BUSY dog and wouldn't trust him otherwise. He doesn't seem to mind. Shoot, he gets in trouble when we're home and he's loose. I think he does it for attention. lol
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

TimC. is offline Senior Member

The fact that you have a walker come in twice a day is great. The gauge that we used is if Oona chewed on anything we would take it a step back. It's not going to hurt for her to be in the crate. As long as you don't use the crate as punishment they accept it as their space.
    Olie

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Teddy is 2 and is still crated during the work day--and anytime when I am gone. He is Destructo Dog. And he eats too many things that he shouldn't. He is so used to being crated that as soon as I put my shoes on in the morning he goes to his crate! I don't even have to tell him.

And I have to say that it would be a sad world if only people that worked from home or stayed at home all day could have dogs. If you look at the numbers of dogs that are euthanized every year and are appalled, just think of how many more would be euthanized if only those who do not have to work away from home could have dogs.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006