Serious question here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious question here

Gene Guest

DefaultSerious question here

Was watching my three year old grandson, (Hayden) tonight while DD and SIL went out for dinner. My dogs love him and are very gentle with him. Anyway after about an hour of Hayden climbing and pulling on them, Merlot,( 3 year old choc male) gets bored or tired and goes in the other room and lays down and falls asleep. Hayden plays some more with Zoey,( 3 year old yellow female) for a while and then he goes in the other room and climbs on sleeping Merlot. Merlot doesn't open his eyes, but goes "Grrrr". Not loud, actually kind of soft, but I immediately pulled Hayden off him. My question is, was this Merlot just saying "knock it off kid, I'm trying to sleep" or was he saying "get off me or I will bite you"? Has me concerned as Merlot NEVER growls unless he is playing tug o war. Any dog behavior experts out there?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Serious question here

"I'm asleep buddy leave me alone"

glad you were right there as he should be allowed to have his peace

and if you supress all growling he won't have a way to warn and things could escalate to a bite
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Felix is offline Senior Member

I dont understand, why you aloud him to climb youre dogs ?! A dog is not a horse ...

And if a dog is trying to get a sleep, he must be left alone, so you can also educate youre kids to do so ..

And about that growl .. Dont worry, it is just a simple warning from a Labrador from leave me alone .. But i dont know for sure what a other dog should do (kids dont see the difference in that)

So, please educate youre kid to handle youre Labrador on a proper way, even a Labrador is an animal who can do horrible things ...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Im not an expert but my terrier will growl at my kids and walk off if they get too much, she has never snapped but I dont trust her that much atm either

Gene Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Felix
    I dont understand, why you aloud him to climb youre dogs ?! A dog is not a horse ...

And if a dog is trying to get a sleep, he must be left alone, so you can also educate youre kids to do so ..

And about that growl .. Dont worry, it is just a simple warning from a Labrador from leave me alone .. But i dont know for sure what a other dog should do (kids dont see the difference in that)

So, please educate youre kid to handle youre Labrador on a proper way, even a Labrador is an animal who can do horrible things ...
    Ok, thanks. I stated this wrong. Hayden doesn't get on their backs and ride them. He is very gentle with them. It's lots of hugs and laying down on them, he uses them for a pillow etc. He is a very quiet child, also.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

"Let sleeping dogs lie"...or whatever that quote is!

It wouldn't concern me. Best thing to do is leave them be while they sleep. Even the best tempered dogs can be caught off guard by being startled in their sleep.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I agree with the above. I don't think kids should ever be allowed to "climb" on dogs, sleeping or otherwise.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    I agree with the above. I don't think kids should ever be allowed to "climb" on dogs, sleeping or otherwise.
    I completely agree - and I raised two boys with dogs around. The kids have to learn to respect the dogs as feeling creatures and respect their space. There are not a whole lot of dogs who truly enjoy a hug - and it is asking for future problems to allow a child to hug yours (even if they tolerate it).
    Sharon

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

When the kids were young they were taught when the dogs left the activity they needed to be alone. I teach the same to my grandkids. I have to admit my two dogs I have now don't know when they're tired. They stay with my grandkids most of the time and very rarely want to be out of the action.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

I would think that Merlot was warning your grandson. But if a warning isn't heeded, bites can follow. So I would make sure that grandson knows that when the dog leaves the action--leave him alone! And especially if said dog is sleeping.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast