Honcho attacked by another dog (same as Lab & Health)

Thread: Honcho attacked by another dog (same as Lab & Health)

jumpngmarine is offline Member

DefaultHoncho attacked by another dog (same as Lab & Health)

I have a question about my lab Honcho. He was attacked by another dog on our run today. Honcho runs next to me while I ride my bike. He is on an e-collar and responds well and is under control while we are out.

The dog that attacked Honcho has attacked him before. Like the first time it was unprovoked and Honcho tried to get away from the dog by backing up and going away from him, but was like today chased down. Today poor Honcho was pinned down in the ditch and the other dog bit him hard on the back. And today the other dog drew blood. So my poor guy has two puncture wounds to his back and is now going to be on antibiotics and pain meds for the next week.

Obviously I don't want this to ever happen again, so I wonder what I'm doing wrong... Our training has always focused on Honcho sitting to let other dogs, cars, runners pass by. The dogs are the only problem I have getting him to sit still.
    My question is - is there something Honcho does to provoke this? Other dogs seem to favor him as a target too. Honcho is not a dominant dog, and after all this is getting timid and will try to run away from certain dogs rather than sitting next to me and letting them pass.
    What can I do differently to make him stay with me? Or am I completely lost by thinking these dogs will not attack if he is right next to me? is the running away from the other dog what sets them off?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Felix is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Honcho attacked by another dog (same as Lab & Health)

What sets them of, if you pass by is hard to tell by the internet

But, i wont make it a problem for my self if i was you, but i should make a problem for that other owner, let him/her pay youre vet bills, and let him/her keep their dog in such way, so they couldnt attack other dogs ...

Did you ever think about going to the police with you're story ? Since it's the second time youre dog is attacked by the same dog twice, i should go to the police with my story ...

Thanks for your response.
    The owner of the other dog did pay our vet bill. I also told her I would not report this if she promised to keep her dog on a leash at all times. On one hand I feel I should report the attack on the other hand the owner was most upset and crying when I came back from the vet's office. They treat this dog as their child so of course I can understand this is difficult for them. They have also called to check on Honcho over the weekend.
    And she promised repeatedly the dog will be on a leash all the time now.

As for what happened this time around... Honcho spotted the dog while we were running, since his first encounter with the dog he is scared seeing him and will not approach him. He just stopped as soon as he saw him. I can also add we came from behind, so the other dog hadn't even noticed Honcho when he stopped. When the other dog's owner noticed us she called for her dog to get it on a leash, he bolted straight for Honcho and chased him down and pinned him down in the ditch and bit on top of Honcho's back.
    The owner was able to get her dog to her when she walked towards him. The other dog's hair was standing straight up on his back, poor Honcho was trying to be as far away from him as he could possibly be on my other side.

Don't know if that helps any. Honcho seems to be a favored target among the territorial dogs in our neighborhood. It's so sad since he is such a sweet and goofy boy. He plays really well with most dogs, he favors labs

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

As you already wrote in the first post, this dog attacked Honcho already once, and now he did twice!

How many times do you want that dog to attack, before you make a call to the police ?! (sounds maybe a bit hard)

Because, the owners promissed heaven on earth with their dog, but after a periode of time, thinks going to be lacky, and all the things go over again, so this dog can (maybe) attack again, if you get my drift

Don't know if that helps any. Honcho seems to be a favored target among the territorial dogs in our neighborhood. It's so sad since he is such a sweet and goofy boy. He plays really well with most dogs, he favors labs
    Dogs learn by experience, it is just a matter of time, before youre goofy sweetie, turns in a 35 kilo missile, and standup for him (or her?). And that's not what you want, i guess

So, even the owners where in tears, and pay the vet bill, just go to the police and report this ....

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Was your dog on a leash when this happened?

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

When Puff and I first started walking, 6 years ago, the spiderweb of trails through the nature preserve we visit early every morning, I was very worried about encountering aggressive dogs, etc.

I thought of cattle prods, shocking devices, but they're heavy and also illegal within our city limits. So I got a can of Guard Alaska bear spray to carry.

http://www.defensedevices.com/bearpepspray.html

You might consider taking that with you. It has a much longer range than the typical mace sprays.

And I very much agree with Felix -- how many times is too much? What other dogs or animals will be injured in the meantime?
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Honcho is on an e-collar when I take him out. So technically he isn't on a physical leash, but under my control since I have the remote control in my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpngmarine
    Honcho is on an e-collar when I take him out. So technically he isn't on a physical leash, but under my control since I have the remote control in my hand.
    An: "e-collar" ?

What's wrong with a regular collar, and a regular leash ?

Trickster is offline Senior Member

An e-collar is no subsitute for a leash.

If your dog had been on a leash and not an e-collar you would have been in better physical control of the situation. Had he been leashed, he would not have been able to run and therefore get pinned down by the other dog. This also potentially puts him in danger of getting hit by a car.

So, I suggest you ditch the e-collar and use a leash. If it happens again, get between you and your dog and really yell at the other dog, then report them to animal control.