Alpha issues
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alpha issues

archieandus is offline Member

DefaultAlpha issues

Hello everyone,

My vet suggested that Archie is confused about who is alpha in our house. My husband and I both feed Archie, walk/run him. Our son is three, yet Archie has been wonderful with him (although they are never left alone together).

I'd appreciate your input in regard to what my vet had to say, and that is that we should eat in front of Archie before we feed him in order to establish who is alpha. Has anyone ever done this and if so, did it work? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kathleen

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Alpha issues

Are you having specific issues with Archie? In my experience, teaching a dog good manners has little to do with who eats first.

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    Are you having specific issues with Archie? In my experience, teaching a dog good manners has little to do with who eats first.

Just the general jumping up on adults and being kind of bitey. I know he's still a puppy, yet I was wondering if it's common to have this going on at this age. I don't understand why a vet (she's not our regular vet) would whack him on the jaw. I thought it was completely WRONG yet it wasn't hard, and it seemed to get his attention. I just have never had a vet do that. My gut feeling is that she's really old school. I know that labs can be challenging, but I don't think it's right or kind to smack him because it teaches him nothing, except to fear us.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I'd alpha roll the vet.

Seriously, no, it's not appropriate for a vet (or anyone) to discipline someone else's puppy without permission.

Start looking for a new vet, and if you haven't already, sign up for a positive-reinforcement based puppy kindergarten.

It completely surprised me, and I had no idea what to say at the time. I feel stupid now for not standing up for my dog. This was a vet at another office that we don't regularly go to, and I won't be going back. She was wrong and I was wrong for not calling her on it. I wouldn't let a pediatrician smack my kid, so why did I let her smack my dog?

sarah is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Archienus
    It completely surprised me, and I had no idea what to say at the time. I feel stupid now for not standing up for my dog. This was a vet at another office that we don't regularly go to, and I won't be going back. She was wrong and I was wrong for not calling her on it. I wouldn't let a pediatrician smack my kid, so why did I let her smack my dog?

I think you have answered your own question there. You will get better results with positive reinforcement than smacking your puppy. As kaytris said, sign up with a good obedience school. It will do you both wonders and you'll be amazed at the difference learning how to teach your puppy properly really makes to your progress with manners.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Felix is offline Senior Member

Smashing fear in to a dog is easy as it could be, but getting the fear out off the dog, is a whole other issue and a hard way to do

So, positive reinforcement is the better way on training youre dog

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Behavior and nutrition are 2 areas I would not really take a vet's word as gospel. He/she sounds poorly informed and at least 10 years out of touch.
    Sharon

Dani is offline Senior Member

i'd go smack the shit out of that vet. Sounds like your pup is normal. Get to obedience and get a new vet.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

kaytris said
    I'd alpha roll the vet.

Seriously, no, it's not appropriate for a vet (or anyone) to discipline someone else's puppy without permission.

Start looking for a new vet, and if you haven't already, sign up for a positive-reinforcement based puppy kindergarten.
    100% AGREE
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast