Lab pup / Pomeranian...how to coexist peacefully

Thread: Lab pup / Pomeranian...how to coexist peacefully

dapper dan is offline Junior Member

DefaultLab pup / Pomeranian...how to coexist peacefully

We've recently got a male chocolate lab (Dapper Dan) a week ago. He's now 8 weeks old and is full of energy. We also have a small female Pomeranian (Penelope) that's 11 years-old.

Our issue is that Dapper Dan wants to play, but Penelope isn't in the mood...mainly b/c Dapper Dan is bigger and is a little clumsy. So Penelope hides out in our bedroom or under the couch and we have to force her out of her hiding place to eat or go outside.

I can't train Dapper Dan to stay away from Penelope in a day's time, nor can I keep Dapper Dan in his crate all the time. I also feel bad for Penelope b/c she has no peace when she does come out.

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lab pup / Pomeranian...how to coexist peacefully

I was hoping someone else would answer you yesterday because I don't have a lot of ideas here.

You have a very young rambunctious large breed dog and a senior fragile toy who is not all that interested in him. If she won't put him in his place (which most older dogs regardless of size will readily do) then you really have to provide the protection for her. I would keep him leashed to you most of the time that they are in close proximity in the house. That way you can control the interaction and make sure she is not being injured. If she is defending herself - great - I would let them work it out on their own. But if not - try controling their interaction some and see what happens. He is going to have to learn from one of you how to behave with her.
    Sharon

dapper dan is offline Junior Member

He’s certainly not hurting her, but his play is a little more than what she’s looking for and we watch him like a hawk when they are together. She will defend herself and snap at him and he usually backs off and she disappears. Talking with some friends at work, their going to have to work it out and she’s going to have to teach him some manners.

Normally now, if he see’s her he will run to her and she will respond and we’ll say “no, dapper dan” and he usually just stands there, a will whine a little. I believe he will get the picture soon.

I posted this b/c my wife was a little frustrated.

Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

wingman01 is offline Junior Member

I' having somewhat of the same issue with my older doxie and a 10 week old lab. My doxie didn't want anything to do with the lab puppy for a week. Then he started playing with her on his terms though. He still gets mad when she is too rough. I'm starting to teach her the leave it command. So when the doxie doesn't feel like playing I tell the lab leave it. I'm seeing improvements already. Also when she starts playing too rough I try to distract her with treats and toys. Your little one does need a break now and then from the puppy. Don't force it too soon. Like the other poster said using a leash will help. Good luck