9 wk old puppy biting and growling

Thread: 9 wk old puppy biting and growling

Judy1 is offline Junior Member

Default9 wk old puppy biting and growling

I am about to start puppy training in a couple of weeks. However, in the meantime my 9 wk old blk female is having an issue with biting....not the typical mouthing puppy bite. When you are holding her to put on her collar or doing something she loses interest or wants down.... she starts turning her around growling biting at me. I have never had this sort of aggressive behavior from any of my other previous three dogs. I am sure training can correct it when we start...but, any suggestions. Typically, she minds pretty well to be so young.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kwohlenb is offline Junior Member

DefaultRe: 9 wk old puppy biting and growling

In my experience the putting on of the collar can be scary and a lot of dogs don't like their necks to be touched. Try putting it on by going up and under instead of over and around if that makes any sense. Also be sure to use a yummy treat that she only gets while doing this like chicken or hot dog so she associates this with yummy things. I'm not sure if I answered your question or is your pup biting and growling at other times besides this, I believe you also said if you are picking her up. It might be that she is just scared, try getting more onto her level as well. That's the only thing I can think of as a quick fix, since labs are so food motivated I usually just use yummy food to turn the behavior I dont want into the behavior I do want. Except with Trevi the biting and typical mouthing was a pain to fix, I remember that ignoring and turning back didnt work (although that did work for jumping) the only thing that finally worked was a short bop on the nose and a "NO BITE" I feel I should also mentioned that puppies growl a lot when playing so just in case its not aggression and her strange version of trying to start a game with you. Two books that are very helpful with aggression are The Monks of New Skete AND I am in love with all things Victoria Stillwell. Get her book and start watching her show "Its me or the dog" she really teaches positive training and really gives you a lot of great ideas for training.
    Good Luck!

wingman01 is offline Junior Member

I'm new to the lab breed but my dachshund had the same issues. He was very dominate and growled at me a few times as a puppy. Make sure he is not play growling. If you think it is agrresive or dominance growling you should stop it soon. With my Dachshund I had to establish being the pack leader. This means feeding them after you eat,you going out any doorways first,etc. Also get her used to sitting down for you and lying down on command. I also get them to lay upside down in my arms and try to sooth them. Not really a alpha roll but just for them to sumit to you when asked to. I don't force my dogs but use treats instead. If they struggle though I try not to let them up or else they learn that if they struggle or protest they win and can get away with it. You might have a dominant puppy from the liter. Just keep in mind researchers say that 35% of the dogs personality is genetics 65% is molding your dogs behavoir. She is still just a pup you have some time, not much though to mold her into a enjoyable dog.
    My Dachshund once growled at me when I approached my own bed, He didn't get to sleep in the bed for a while until he learned that I'm the boss. He is now a great dog.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Judy1
    I am about to start puppy training in a couple of weeks. However, in the meantime my 9 wk old blk female is having an issue with biting....not the typical mouthing puppy bite. When you are holding her to put on her collar or doing something she loses interest or wants down.... she starts turning her around growling biting at me. I have never had this sort of aggressive behavior from any of my other previous three dogs. I am sure training can correct it when we start...but, any suggestions. Typically, she minds pretty well to be so young.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

wingman01 is offline Junior Member

Also remember as the other poster mentioned, using treats when putting on the leash will work wonders, make it a positive experience so when she see's the leash she will be happy knowing treats are coming

Sammy8myshoe is offline Junior Member

I have been going thru the same thing with Sammy and finally found something that works. He hates getting his collar back on, and would always lightly bite my hands when I tried to fix it, so instead I tell him no and put one of his chew toys in his mouth, he chews on that while I am fixing his collar, and if he drops it, I put it back in his mouth, as soon as I am finished he is contently chompin away on his toy.
    Another crazy day here in puppyville. The scratches are well worth it I think!

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I would not read a whole lot into it. Most of the time you get a growl from a puppy (like 99%) it is play (it may not be play you enjoy - but it is play none the less). It would be one highly unusual Lab puppy to be displaying aggression at 9 weeks.
    Sharon

sarah is offline Senior Member

^^^ what BBD said. A 9 week old puppy isn't aggressive!! I'd read more into it as play... teaching the puppy to sit while putting the collar on and providing a distraction (like a chew toy as Sammy advised) is a good idea. Always ensure your puppy associates handling with praise and treats. This includes everything.... handling your puppy while it eats, inspecting teeth, eyes, paws and ears, brushing etc.... Everything at this age that the puppy demonstrates that you consider as good behaviour should be met with a praise word "yay puppy good job!" and a small treat. And all of this type of handling you should be doing on a daily basis to get your puppy used to the fact that being touched and handled at various times of the day is the norm not the exception.

We found that for the first 6 months Milly's treat pouch went with us everywhere. In the car *when she was in drop position* yay good job + treat..... at home *for inspections, collar, dinner times, play times, obedience* on our walks *for stopping and sitting at the intersection and watching me etc*

A good command to train early is *leave it* if you find that your puppy continually bites at your hands, feet or its collar the leave it command is invaluable. Or *watch me* so the puppy's attention is focused on your while you are mucking around with it's collar. As soon as Milly sees her collar and leash come out of the closet she assumes the sit position and she is attentive to only the person carrying said leash and collar. She associates collar and leash with outings and finds the site of them extremely exciting... We had to teach her sit, watch and wait to keep her still to put the collar on her because she was so excited and frantic at jumping around at the prospect of a walk. Now, she knows what is expected of her.

it all takes time, patience and consistency.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Sammy8myshoe is offline Junior Member

As soon as Milly sees her collar and leash come out of the closet she assumes the sit position and she is attentive to only the person carrying said leash and collar. She associates collar and leash with outings and finds the site of them extremely exciting... We had to teach her sit, watch and wait to keep her still to put the collar on her because she was so excited and frantic at jumping around at the prospect of a walk. Now, she knows what is expected of her.

I agree. Whenever Sammy sees his leash he knows it means, time to go outside, whether its a walk or potty. He has learned to sit next to the door until its time to go and the leash is on properly and only gets up after the door is opened. Still pulls alot but I am working consistently on that. It takes time, but in the long run, a month or a little more of training is worth it for the following years.
    Another crazy day here in puppyville. The scratches are well worth it I think!

Felix is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Judy1
    Trust me, puppy's dont come on this world as a agressive dog

They just discover this world, and the only way to do so, is by their mouth ...

She just has to learn on how far she can go. What i should do, if she bite's me in a very hard en mean way, just scream: "AUCH!!" .. Or words similiar ... And turn away, and stop playing or what youre doing at that moment. And the clue is, that you keepon repeating this, and yes .. After doing it a few times, she gets what you mean