Plan on Getting New Lab... Both of us work....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plan on Getting New Lab... Both of us work....

DarthSimon is offline Junior Member

DefaultPlan on Getting New Lab... Both of us work....

Hey guys,
    My wife and I are moving into a larger home... Been living in a 2 bedroom condo for 3 years... Always wanted a lab, but felt it would be cruel to him being the place was small....

New house has nice fenced in backyard... Lot's of running room....

Question is... Both of us work.... She works Monday thru Friday... I work Tuesday thru Saturday... Do we have time to train a new lab pup?? Can the puppy be alone in crate for 7 hours a few days a week before someone gets home???

Any help greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Plan on Getting New Lab... Both of us work....

Do you have time to train? that really depends on YOU. Are you willing to put an hour a day aside to be with/work with the dog?

I work 8hrs a day. I dedicate 20-25 minutes to walking Rocky in the morning and we take a 45 minute run when I get back home. So he gets abit more than an hour a day of exercise (usually more, we do another 30 minutes walk alter in the evening).

For the first while I'd have to add training daily (instead of that last 30 minutes walk it was training) to that but now work on training every few days or so.

Note: A yard is great but you have to be out there with a dog for exercise (either walking, of playing fetch, or play dates with another dog) - the yard ITSELF is not exercise (very few dogs will run around alone).

A young puppy will not be able to hold it in for seven hours (rule of thumb is # months +1, so a two month old pup can, on average, hold it in for 3 hrs). The IDEAL scenario is to have someone go to let the dog outside once or twice a day (at first) if you cannot get home yourself. Otherwise, you have to leave enough room in the crate for the puppy to lay down AND to pee, and this will confuse house training (and cause delays).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Actually,
    My In-laws live 2 blocks away, and most likely would help and let him out... So that could work. I would spend at least an hour a day with the dog....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Do we have time to train a new lab pup??
    Depends. You can absolutely have a dog and work. If you are around all morning/evening and at weekends (or whenever your days off are), then yes. Just bear in mind that if the dog has been alone all day, it will want company during those times. That means no social/work/family commitments without making some kind of provisions for the dog.

Also, as Tanya mentioned, a puppy won't be able to hold it for 7 hours. You'll need someone to come in during the day to let the puppy out. Actually, could you take the pup to your in-laws during your working hours? that would be wonderful for the pup. Otherwise having them or someone else come in during the day to let him out for a break and play with him is fine.

There would be 4 days a week we would both be working... Sat thru MOnday one of us is off... I kinda make my own schedule being I won my own store, so I can go in late... 11-12... So most dog would be alone would be 4 hours or so... But yes, I would have someone stop in first few months and let the dog out....

Tanya is offline Senior Member

definately sounds like you can make the trips home while the puppy is young for potty training, that's great

So it's just a matter of being honest with yourself (and only the two of you know the answers to this) about hwo much time you are willing to commit to the dog. For example, my brother and sister-in-law LOVE dogs and would love to have one, but do not have the lifestyle and commitment to make it work. So they make do with my Rocky who visits often Are you ok with having to come home every night after work and dedicating an hour to your dog? Waking up a little earlier so you can walk and feed them? (and even for those of us who make it work, there are days we just wish we didn't have to). Do you go out with friends or family often? If so, how would you work that around the dog?

It's abit harder for me, it's just me and Rocky. So I can't go out for drinks after work (luckily I live 10 mins from the office so sometimes I can come home, walk Rocky for 30 minutes then rush back to meet coworkers), that I'm up 30 minutes earlier in the morning to let him out, that when I work overtime I have to pay a doggy sitter. WHen I want to go out of town I need a dog sitter. At least you are two, that makes a difference.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Between my wife and I, we would make the commitment. I would give time in the morning, as well as night... Afternoons on the work days we would work out the walks, or let outs.... Can't wait.. Looking for a Chocolate....

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Not that you asked , but you may want to check out the sticky post at the top of the LabChat board here concerning how to find a great breeder. Getting a responsibly bred puppy from a reputable breeder is critically important. Too many novices wind up with puppy mill or back yard bred dogs and you run a much greater risk of temperament or health issues from those sources.
    Sharon

I was planning on local breeders, and staying away from pet stores.... Want a healthy dog...

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DarthSimon
    I was planning on local breeders, and staying away from pet stores.... Want a healthy dog...
    GREAT start, have a read of the post BBD mentioned, all breeders were NOT created equal, and unless you know what to look for it is SO easy to end up with a bad one.

Good luck!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast