Just one of the cutest new pup.

Thread: Just one of the cutest new pup.

Aether is offline Junior Member

DefaultJust one of the cutest new pup.

Hi Guys,
    Yea, I am new to this boards, and very well new to Dogs and Labradors. My brother wanted to buy a new Labrador (he's just 13 yet!) and we did bring home a new Labrador which is just 50 days old as on today (ie its born on 1st December 2008). It seems one of the cutest pup I ever saw with all its features looking in best development.

I am unable, however, to think of a good way to train it. I encounter the following problems with it -
    1. Milk-teeth, goes on biting/chewing all the things that come in the way most of the time, especially the artificial flower bouquet that lied in the Living Room (yeah, we did remove that thing).
    2. It even bites my toes badly and my arm always has atleast one red slash of the teeth of the dog.
    3. It pees anywhere in the house... we had to remove our carpets temporarily.
    4. Potty training is going fine but I think it can be still better.
    5. Feeding it well - nothing much except for 3/4th cup around four times a day.
    6. I am trying to train him for obeying commands like 'come here', 'sit', 'go potty', etc. not so well at this stage, but I believe it will be fine soon.
    7. I am even trying to train him with the collar around his neck - but its not so much good. It whines and grumbles and even barks (the bark is so very sharp) at times, that I end up relieving of the collar and chain that is tied.
    8. At night well, today will be the first night when we will be tying him around the stomach (not tightly, its loose) and chaining it. Waiting for my parents to get a crate for it... xD
    I really am unaware of the ways, and I believe I am expecting too much from my cutie pup (oh by the way, I just bought it and really can't think of a good name -really bad at names - tend to forget others name too :ugly: so just suggest me - he's a male lol). And temme what should I expect from him and how should I treat him.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Just one of the cutest new pup.

chained? is this just a term for the leash or is this really a chain? tied around the stomach?

Start putting a collar on the pup, no leash (or chain) so it can get used to the feel. Don't make it too tight. Let the pup get over itself (ignore barking).

GET A CRATE (not in a week or two, THIS WEEKEND). A puppy shouldn't be chained.

How are you housetraining (what have you done so far?)
    - watch puppy when it is not crated
    - take puppy out every two or three hours
    - when puppy pees outside, cheer and clap and use a happy happy voice (good boy! GOOOD BOY!)
    - clean any accidents in hte house with an odor neutralizer (nature's miracle for example) - most cleaners do not remove the smell and if the dog smells urine, he will pee there again.
    - if you are not watching puppy (and not "kinda" watching, I mean both eyes on puppy) put him in the crate
    - best way to housetrain is to avoid all accidents (by watching puppy inside at all times and taking him out every few hours)

It's good to start basic training right away, but keep it fun for puppy, short sessions, happy voice at all times. stop if you are frustrated.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Congratulations on your puppy! what is his/her name?

1. Milk-teeth, goes on biting/chewing all the things that come in the way most of the time, especially the artificial flower bouquet that lied in the Living Room (yeah, we did remove that thing).

Constant supervision, redirect and replace.

2. It even bites my toes badly and my arm always has atleast one red slash of the teeth of the dog.

Constant supervision, redirect and replace.

Constant supervision, restricted access (he/she is ONLY in the room that you are in - if you cannot supervise, he/she is in a crate or a puppy pen, and a consistent schedule of feeding and water

See above

Sounds fine

6. I am trying to train him for obeying commands like 'come here', 'sit', 'go potty', etc. not so well at this stage, but I believe it will be fine soon.

Take a small handful of kibble and treats. Using the treats as a lure, guide the puppy into the positions that you want. Praise and reward each success, and keep training sessions short and fun

7. I am even trying to train him with the collar around his neck - but its not so much good. It whines and grumbles and even barks (the bark is so very sharp) at times, that I end up relieving of the collar and chain that is tied.

8. At night well, today will be the first night when we will be tying him around the stomach (not tightly, its loose) and chaining it. Waiting for my parents to get a crate for it... xD

I have no idea what you mean here, but it sounds horrendous.

There is a ton of great info in the "Our best advice " sticky at the top of this forum.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kwohlenb is offline Junior Member

Hello and congrats on your new lab puppy!

Labs as a breed are very very mouthy meaning everything goes in the mouth meaning you have to watch it at all times because if you don't it will ingest something it shouldnt and this could cause a blockage in the stomach which means a very expensive surgery to remove the blockage or if its a stick or a plant a bacterial stomach infection which requires an antibiotic. So the best thing to do is watch him all the time and remove anything that goes in the mouth and replace it with a toy he is allowed to eat/chew such as a Kong toy.

If the puppy bites you which all puppies do you have to turn your back and stop all play and ignore (this didnt work for my lab, she still didnt get the point and thought it was a game) so if that doesnt work we did a little bop on the nose with a finger and said NO BITE! and then ignored for a couple of seconds. This really seemed to work for us. Other people have tried a rolled up newspaper, obviously you don't want to hurt your puppy so be as gentle as possible.

Puppies can't hold their pee in for more then 30 minutes at a time especially if they are young only 10-12 weeks or so. Take your puppy out every 30 minutes and say Go potty and praise when the puppy goes potty.

Again the KEY to potty training and taking out every 30 minutes and lots of praise.

Make sure you buy a large breed puppy food. I suggest Wellness Large Breed Puppy.

Take a small handful of kibble and treats. Using the treats as a lure, guide the puppy into the positions that you want. Praise and reward each success, and keep training sessions short and fun

The collar is a very scary thing for a new puppy and most dogs don't like their necks to be touched as it is a sensitive area. Make sure you give your pup plenty of yummy treats when you are putting it on like chicken or hot dogs (use something it doesnt normally get) Make sure when you are putting the collar on you you go up and under don't try to put it on from above the puppies head, its just really scary for them.

Chaining, also known at tethering is inhumane for a puppy. Not only can it get into all sorts of things outside at night alone, it can also be stolen or get lost. This also causes all kinds of psychological issues, imagine being a puppy and you just had a nice warm bed with all of your brothers and sisters and your mom and all of a sudden you are in a new place with new smells and new people and you are stuck outside at night all alone and cold. What an awful feeling. Get a crate for your poor pup, it will keep him out of trouble and you can hear when he has to get up in the night to potty and if the crate is next to you it will comfort him and he will be happy and not suffer at much anxiety from being away from his litter.

traininglabs is offline Junior Member

Definitely wanted to second the motion about getting a crate as soon as possible. All dogs should be crate-trained. Crates are not cages, the are safe havens if used correctly. My labrador LOVES her crate and spends a lot of time in there because we trained her with it when she was young. The crate will not only keep your puppy from wandering all over the house (speaking of which, it's tremendously easier to train a puppy when you first limit them to a small area like the kitchen or the washroom at first) and make supervision much easier, but it will be creating a place that your puppy knows it belongs in. This will make anxiety issues much easier to deal with later on and will help you avoid costly damages that puppies and adult dogs can inflict upon your house.

I'm not sure if someone above mentioned this yet, but a good way to train a puppy not to bite is putting your thumb on the bottom of their mouth below the tongue and keeping the rest of your hand in a fist below the jaw, holding their teeth tightly for a few seconds and using your command (NO BITE! is a good one). This is very uncomfortable for the puppy and very convenient for you, because their mouth was already open and near enough to bite you in the first place. That trick was taught to us by our vet, and it didn't take long to work wonders for my dogs.
    -Lauren Schwaar<br />____________________________<br />FREE labrador training teleseminar with a professional dog trainer:<br />http://www.trainingyourlab.com/trainercall<br /><br />