My puppy Bites when praising. HELP

Thread: My puppy Bites when praising. HELP

Sammy8myshoe is offline Junior Member

DefaultMy puppy Bites when praising. HELP

I have a male yellow lab. He is 15weeks, will be 16weeks tomorrow. The only trick he gets is Sit and Come. He understands Down but doesnt always obey. It is getting harder to train him because whenever I go to pet him or praise him he bites my hands instantly. I hold my hand flat in a "stop" position and he usually obeys this but still acts like he is about to bite. I can't control his jumping and training with tricks is hard because he smells them and usually does not want to listen to the command, just leaps for the food, so then I don't give him a treat but he doesnt seem to get it. I am getting frazzled. I have had this pup since the end of November. I know he is teething and that is making him anxious. I do give him frozen washcloths and he seems to like that. Any advice?

Another crazy day here in puppyville. The scratches are well worth it I think!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My puppy Bites when praising. HELP

are you using any verbal queues when he goes to bite? I found a stern "ugh ugh!" and I mean loud and in a deep stern voice usually got Milly to stop... then praise for no biting. Is he only attacking your hands when you try and treat him? To me it just sounds like he's over-excited. Does he do this from the first command you are about to praise for or does it take a few to get him that excited that he becomes naughty?
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Sometimes it is with the first command, definetly by the second. It is just my hands usually but sometimes my knee if I am sitting etc. I do use a stern ugh ugh as well but still even if I just go to pet him and praise him and he bites instantly. On a few occasion he is nipped for my face as well, but I know now to keep my face away from him when he is hyper. I live with two other males in the home, and I am the only female, and he does obey them more then me, but nips at their hands too.
    I know he is just a pup but no obediance wont make him a very well behaved dog if I dont do something about it now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It sounds hard! Have you thought about finding an obedience school near you to take him too? At 4 months he is definitely old enough to attend.

If it were me, the next thing I would probably try is to do all command/obedience work with him on leash. Tie leash to a piece of furniture.... do the command and try the verbal praise only "yes! Yay! Good boy!" If he lunges at you, step away just outside of his reach of you on his leash and do not make eye contact until he settles down. When (if?) he settles praise again and step closer. If he lunges... step away again and repeat. It might seem stupid, but he will quickly understand that he gets your attention when he's not nipping. If he does nip, sometimes a loud yelp or an angry growl from you at the puppy before stepping back helps also.

Does this help at all?

That is a really good idea! I just tried holding a treat in my hand, having him set and taking steps back from him, and if he stood I would turn away from him. Command again, walking away and then tell him come and he did obey after a couple of tried without nipping! The leash idea is great though. I will definetely start working with him tomorrow. I live in a town with like 300 ppl and no doggy school near me unfortunetly. I think this is going to be a learning experience for both of us! I can tell he is trying and is sometimes confused with learning, its just such a process! Hopefully worth it in the end! :ugly:

I have still my puppy school notes that were given to us when Milly was in Puppy Preschool ... (she was just the CUTEST then!) I can scan them and send them to you if you want? To give you an idea of what a 4-6 week puppy school contains. You should be able to do most of it yourself without going to the school, the school is just really awesome for their social development that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy8myshoe
    That is a really good idea! I just tried holding a treat in my hand, having him set and taking steps back from him, and if he stood I would turn away from him. Command again, walking away and then tell him come and he did obey after a couple of tried without nipping!
    That's excellent progress, if you can do it without a leash then that is even better. The leash is just worst case scenario and you seemed so frustrated in your post

feel free to PM me if you want to! I'm happy to lend an ear on Puppy Frustration!

cheers Sarah