HELP! Basti ate his own poop

Thread: HELP! Basti ate his own poop

Basti is offline Junior Member

DefaultHELP! Basti ate his own poop

Guys, just have this lab last jan 05, 2009. my cousin, who was looking after him, saw him in the cage licking his own poop.

is this dangerous... like for him and for us? he hasnt received anti rabies vaccine since he;s just 8 weeks old.

any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: HELP! Basti ate his own poop

btw... here's a pic of Basti

hmmm bumping this thread up?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

Some dogs eat their own poop. Other dogs eat other dogs poop and not their own.

To be honest, your pup should be going outside every half hour for toilet breaks. Keep an eye on him when he is in crate and if he starts sniffing and turning around he probably has to go. If you don't want him near his own poop in case he likes the taste be vigilent witih him and pick it up as soon as he does it.

It doesn't sound like he ATE it. He probably just finds this new thing in his crate rather interesting and was checking it out. He's only a baby. I doubt it could hurt him. Someone else might have other opinions though.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Pretty normal. Momma dogs eat the puppies poop to keep the den clean, and some puppies will pick it up from them. Especially if he was crated at the time, this seems to be the likely culprit.

Just try to get him out before he has accidents and if he does, clean them up right away.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

SawyerAndMe990 is offline Senior Member

Pretty normal I have a 3 year old Cocker Spaniel who has a fetish for eating her own poop :vomit:. She is a puppymill rescue and our best guess is she wasent fed enough and often ate her poop cause she was still hungry. Puppies usually eat or lick their own poo for a few different reasons. The first one they witnessed their dam "cleaning up" in the whelping pen. And since the pup licked it in his crate? Right? He/she was probley just trying to do some clean up. Anouther reason is boredom. And last but not least maybe the food the pup is eating is missing a mineral that its poop contains.

Its not really dangerous I don't beleive for the puppy. But I would be wary of puppy kisses on the face just incase of worms :vomit:. I would just watch him though. This may just be a one time thing. But if it becomes a major problem there are supplements Vets can give you to put in the pups food to make his poop taste awful. There are also many home remedies you can try. But really your best bet is to do your best to keep the yard and crate clean. Even if that means scooping the poop right after it hits the ground.
    Sawyer And Morrison

Lab
    Lab/Basset Hound (maybe some Beagle)

Felix is offline Senior Member

The only thing .. it is verry gross, but not dangerous at all

There are many dogs who eats poop, from them selfs or from other dogs .. Specialy labradors, labradors are belly's on 4 legs, and evry thing that smells oke, will be treated like food

Ask a regular labrador owner on what he thinks thats gross from her or his labrador and the change is big that they whould say: "eating poop!" :death:

Dani is offline Senior Member

why was he allowed to sit in his crate with poop?

But as others have said, it happens. THe only thing to do is to clean it up and make sure the guy gets out more often.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003