Let dogs hang out in the living room while away?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Let dogs hang out in the living room while away?

  1. #1
    absynthe is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    48

    DefaultLet dogs hang out in the living room while away?

    I don't like crating the pups while we're away, but I also don't like leaving them outside while we're away - too much can happen. They've never been left in the house without us here. When they are in the house, we keep a gate up so that they stay in the living room and the kitchen.

    I would like to be able to transition them to where they would be able to stay in their normal gated area while we're gone, so that they have room to walk around, as well as play, rest, etc.

    What would be the best transition method for this? Slowly increasing increments of time that we're away? My main concern actually is the probability of pee/poop in the house when we return - they've never had a problem chewing furniture or anything.

    Thanks!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,079

    DefaultRe: Let dogs hang out in the living room while away?

    Quote Originally Posted by absynthe
    I don't like crating the pups while we're away, but I also don't like leaving them outside while we're away - too much can happen. They've never been left in the house without us here. When they are in the house, we keep a gate up so that they stay in the living room and the kitchen.

    I would like to be able to transition them to where they would be able to stay in their normal gated area while we're gone, so that they have room to walk around, as well as play, rest, etc.

    What would be the best transition method for this? Slowly increasing increments of time that we're away? My main concern actually is the probability of pee/poop in the house when we return - they've never had a problem chewing furniture or anything.

    Thanks!
    Adult dogs should be able to hold off elimination for 8 hours without a problem. That said - mine is crated when I am out as he is a shredder. He likes his crate and sleeps quite deeply in it.
    Sharon

  4. #3
    Tanya is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,797

    DefaultRe: Let dogs hang out in the living room while away?

    I start the transition by dog proofing the area for THEIR safety (removing food and things that could harm them from reach) and leaving for short periods of time. It also helps to start while they are well exercised (i.e. the first time you leave for an hour try to ensure they get a good run or exercise in beforehand). I also leave a stuffed kong for him but with two you have to ensure there are not possessive issues if you leave something like that out for them.

    Rocky started the transition at 2.5, but then regressed after 5 months of perfect behavior and was crated again until about four years of age. I still have to clean the area and ensure no dog/human food or treat is left out or he will eat it.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    absynthe is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    48

    DefaultRe: Let dogs hang out in the living room while away?

    It may be best for Max to stay crated then, as he's only 6 months - while he can stay all night in his crate, I'm not sure his bladder will hold when he has space to run around. I can see Soph holding her bladder, she's 2.5 years old, but I don't want to leave her out and only crate Max - that would seem a little biased to him.

  7. #5
    imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,079

    DefaultRe: Let dogs hang out in the living room while away?

    Quote Originally Posted by absynthe
    It may be best for Max to stay crated then, as he's only 6 months - while he can stay all night in his crate, I'm not sure his bladder will hold when he has space to run around. I can see Soph holding her bladder, she's 2.5 years old, but I don't want to leave her out and only crate Max - that would seem a little biased to him.
    I think it is perfectly fine to crate the puppy and allow the adult to be out. I did that all the time with my 2. I am getting a new puppy this winter and Diesel will get his freedom by default as I am not going to drop another crate in here! So my puppy will be in a crate and Diesel will be gated in the kitchen where he can't access my books and magazines for shredding purposes.
    Sharon

  8. #6
    fowl mouth is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7

    DefaultRe: Let dogs hang out in the living room while away?

    Our dog copper is turning 5 months old and we leave him alone in a gated area off the kitchen while we are out and at work. When he wants to chew, he heads for his toy box. We have been lucky, so far, that he has never chewed on anything other than his own toys. I feel that training them with their own things to chew at an early age is key. Either that or we are real lucky that we have a lab that does not chew on our stuff. We even leave our shoes in the gated area.

    I have a friend who lets his pup chew on paper towel rolls and is now surprised that he just ate their coffee table book.

  9. #7
    henrysmom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,752

    DefaultRe: Let dogs hang out in the living room while away?

    Quote Originally Posted by absynthe
    It may be best for Max to stay crated then, as he's only 6 months - while he can stay all night in his crate, I'm not sure his bladder will hold when he has space to run around. I can see Soph holding her bladder, she's 2.5 years old, but I don't want to leave her out and only crate Max - that would seem a little biased to him.
    I leave my 5.5 year old out free in the house while my 4 month old puppy is crated. I really don't think either of them cares.
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

  10. #8
    Allan is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    89

    DefaultRe: Let dogs hang out in the living room while away?

    We both work and let Yoyo have free reign of the house while we are gone (although a dog walker comes once during the day). Yoyo is about 1.5 years old. When she was around a year, we would leave her in our bedroom (uncrated) in our old apartment. Then, we moved to a house (about 3 months ago). We initially gated her off when we were gone to the kitchen and the hallway outside the kitchen. But, she is so trustworthy, that she now has the entire house. But, I have no doubt that she stays in the kitchen with her two buddies (a kitten and a cat) all day waiting for us to come home. My only advice is to leave anything tempting out of their reach. Yoyo, for example, loves to eat pens. So, we don't leave any pens out!

    Hope this helps,
    Allan

  11. #9
    Hunterboosnana is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8

    DefaultRe: Let dogs hang out in the living room while away?

    I did crate magic as a puppy and left bear out. I was lucky that I only worked less than one mile away so I came home to check on him and let him out at lunch plus I only worked 6 hrs a day. Bear was never a chewer but Magic is. Magic did stay crated until he was 2 1/2 while I was at work He didnt seem to mind, he knew the routine and usually went into the crate before I even left! he loved his crate and slept in it even when we were home. At age 3 I slowly started leaving him out, making sure everything that he could chew on was up ( he loved remotes) I mean everything was put up..trash can ,remotes, food on the counter. He stays out all the time now ( he is 3 1/2)..but I still put everything up and close all the doors to the bedrooms except mine.

    PS. Last year I came home after leaving him out and my Christmas tree was turned over, chewed up and there were ornamenets as far as I could see!!! I just took a deep breath..and a picture! Also I set up the video camera a few times while I went to work to see what they did while I was gone..Bear was fine..Magic was on the sofa and then standing on the coffe table and chasing the cat around (they are big buddys) Thats when he went back into the crate for a while!!!
    Vanessa, Bear, Magic and the rest of the pack.

  12. #10
    imported_CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,656

    DefaultRe: Let dogs hang out in the living room while away?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunterboosnana
    I did crate magic as a puppy and left bear out. I was lucky that I only worked less than one mile away so I came home to check on him and let him out at lunch plus I only worked 6 hrs a day. Bear was never a chewer but Magic is. Magic did stay crated until he was 2 1/2 while I was at work He didnt seem to mind, he knew the routine and usually went into the crate before I even left! he loved his crate and slept in it even when we were home. At age 3 I slowly started leaving him out, making sure everything that he could chew on was up ( he loved remotes) I mean everything was put up..trash can ,remotes, food on the counter. He stays out all the time now ( he is 3 1/2)..but I still put everything up and close all the doors to the bedrooms except mine.

    PS. Last year I came home after leaving him out and my Christmas tree was turned over, chewed up and there were ornamenets as far as I could see!!! I just took a deep breath..and a picture! Also I set up the video camera a few times while I went to work to see what they did while I was gone..Bear was fine..Magic was on the sofa and then standing on the coffe table and chasing the cat around (they are big buddys) Thats when he went back into the crate for a while!!!
    I read that and was thinking "What in the world is crate magic?" bwahahahahaaa I got it after reading on. *giggle*

    We started leaving Cinder out for longer periods of time starting when she was 2 1/2. By the time she was three, I'd say, she was reliable. We do make sure there is no food on the counters. She will counter surf sometimes, sometimes not. The one big problem we have with her is.......she opens the back door. We have to make sure the back door is locked otherwise she'll open the door, letting the other dogs and cats out.

    We recently took her crate down so we'd have more room. We never used it to crate her anymore, but she liked to nap in there.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25