What has she got in her mouth now ?!?!

Thread: What has she got in her mouth now ?!?!

deb
    deb is offline Member

DefaultWhat has she got in her mouth now ?!?!

Bailey loves remotes, cell phones, shoes, brushes, i-pods - basically anything that she can get in her mouth and run with. Obviously she thinks its a game :no:

She snatches and runs with the item in mouth. If I see her head toward the item - she will usually "leave it" on command, however she will go exploring and when not being watched - snatch and run !! The only way to get it back is to make a food trade - She brings the item - I say the "give" she drops and I give reward. I feel like I am just rewarding her unwanted behavior. She will not relase the item until we are infront of snack area - or she can see a snack in hand....darn dog...

Any suggestions ??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What has she got in her mouth now ?!?!

How old is Bailey? Does she recall reliably?

The obvious starting point here is to keep valuables out of her reach. I have a friend whose Bull Mastiff ate 7 remotes - which boggled my mind. After one, the remote would not be in my dogs reach anymore.

Other than that - I have rarely had this issue with my dogs as I will not chase them. If you chase or reward for return of the object I think that encourages this behavior. Occasionally when Diesel has a marrow bone that I would like him to give up and he sees me coming to take it from him, he will grab and run. Again I do not chase. I stand in the kitchen and tell him to come to me. He VERY reluctantly does so - very slowly - and spits the thing out.

Come to think of it - when we got Diesel at 6 months old he liked to steal sox. I almost forgot about this! He would grab and run with the sock or stocking hanging out of his mouth. I generally ignored it or called him back to me and took it back. He stopped fairly quickly as it was really no fun anymore.
    Sharon

deb
    deb is offline Member

She is 5.5 months old. We have tried to doggie proof the house which has helped. She does NOT recall reliably - 1/2 the time at best . It's a work in progress lol.

I would agree that chasing them only results in "GAME ON MOM !! " I tried that one time and one time only - she had my husbands new Cell phone in her mouth and you could see the smile forming on her lips as we raced around the kitchen table....After several laps - I had to offer Peanut Butter to get the cell phone back :tired:

How do you train to "come" ?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Training "come" works best with a partner. Set up the dog (on a long line) and yourself and a partner in a large room or in the yard. Each of you needs to have treats handy (hot dog bits work great) Each of you takes a position in opposite corners. One calls the dog (with enthusiasm) and if she ignores you, you bring her to you - just reel her in on the line. When she gets to you PRAISE excessively with treat and repeat "good come". Other partner then does same - dog will pick up on the game and the imminent reward in short order. Make this fun for her and do it for short periods (don't want this to become boring for the dog). With a little time and consistancy you can get to the point where you can eliminate the treat and she will work for the praise alone. Ultimately you will have a dog that will race to you when called.

What you never want to do is have the dog associate "come" with a negative - so if she has done something bad - like charge out the door and dash around the neighborhood - you don't want to punish her when she finally comes back to you. Dogs associate very quickly and all your good effort at making recall fun will be flushed if you punish her for coming back after she has been "bad".

Sharon

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

the trick is for her not to take the item in the first place.

sit down with remote on floor

when she goes for it, "leave it"
    If she does, treat

repeat w/other items, sitting in different areas of the house.

next, put it where the remote/item normally is...
    take her to item.
    "leave it"
    if she does, treat

repeat, repeat until it no longer becomes an "item" to take.

I did this w/towels, newspaper, magazines, toilet paper, remotes, glasses...

she has not touched a single item that is on the coffee table or anything that belongs to us.

good luck.
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Ugh..i've been having this problem with Shelby lately, it definitely is a game to her, i do my best not to give in and i have not exchanged item with a treat, getting better, i think i will try what one of the other posters said about putting item on the floor with "leave it" command, then treat if she listens. I'm afraid to tell you guys what the latest item she took off with....