A bunch of quick questions

Thread: A bunch of quick questions

YukonsMom is offline Member

DefaultA bunch of quick questions

I've stumbled upon a few things that I could use help with.

For starters, when do puppies usually start signaling that they need to go out? Yukon is 11 weeks now and while he doesn't have many accidents, it's because we often take him outside. He doesn't even walk to the room that leads outside.

My next thing is barking. He barely barks! Maybe one bark every 2-3 days! Is it because he's young? or will he likely be the quiet type? Are there quiet labs?

Stairs- At what age are they able/is it okay for them to do stairs?

Papers- Was I supposed to get some offical papers (or certificate or pedigree) from my breeder or do I send away for it? (I know I'm very ignorant here) My packet from the breeder had his parents typed out on her letterhead and then photocopies of their pedigrees and photocopies of their health/hip/eye certificates. Was there something else I should have?

Sorry so many questions. It's your own fault for being so informative

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A bunch of quick questions

I dont know how much I can help with but here goes.

Signalling to go out for us was hard because like you, every half hour we took Milly outside! She never needed to signal. But when she was going outside we'd say "Wee's Milly" and then praise praise praise. Now if she wants to go she comes sees us and basically gets annoying. She sticks her head in your face ... tramples on you.... sits and STARES at you. We know she wants or needs something. If we say "Wee's Milly?" and she has to go ... she jumps up and takes herself to the back door. So with us it was word association that was the key.

Milly still won't bark and doesn't at anything.. not even other dogs or during play with other dogs. She never made a noise when she was a puppy, except for those first few nights where she howled the house down at night time. Milly is definitely a quiet lab.

We don't have stairs so I can't answer that one... I do know there are posts previously on this forum relating to stairs. You may want to do a search.

Papers - We got Milly's Pedigree Certificate when we picked her up. We did a change of ownership registration and sent it to the council and they sent us a new Pedigree Registration Certificate. We are in Australia though so it might be different where you live. Can you ring the breeder and inquire?

Hope this helps.

Cheers Sarah
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Are you crate training the puppy? There are three times when a puppy will need to go out with almost absolute certainty and with a crate you can control all three. Right after the puppy wakes up. Right after the puppy eats. During play. Always take the puppy out the same door. Hang a bell off the door handle and as you are walking the puppy out make it touch the bell with its nose and reinforce it with a small food treat. When you get the puppy outside gently tell the puppy to go to the bathroom. When it does make a big deal out of it and reinforce it with a food treat. Get to learn the signs of when the puppy is telling you when it needs to go out. If the puppy is circling around sniffing the floor its looking for a spot to go. If there are any accidents, (and there will be) don't blame the puppy blame yourself because you were ignoring the signs. Cleaning up accidents with just soap and water won't be enough the puppy will still be able to smell the accident and will think that's where its supposed to go. You need to get a cleaner from the pet store that will neutralize the smell. Don't clean it up in front of the puppy you don't want it to get the idea this is your job.

As far as the stairs this is what I did:
    Do this when the dog is hungry and you are more likely to have success. Make sure the area is well lit. Go to the bottom of the stairs, and on the bottom give a little food treat. Put a piece of the puppy's food on the first step near the edge. When the puppy gets the food praise him/her. Now move the food back on the first step so the puppy has to work to get it. Repeat this as you go up the stairs.

Coming down you want to sit at the bottom and put the puppy on the first step from the bottom and encourage the puppy to come down to the landing. Repeat this several times until the puppy will do it with confidence. Then move on to one step higher. Make sure you are there to catch the puppy if it falls. Repeat this training several times a day at about 5 minutes per session.

When the puppy gets used to these stairs find another type. Not all stairs are equal, especially stairways that are open such as basement stairs. This is the one mistake I made with Oona and there are some stairways that she will refuse to walk up.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

Stairs is rough on young pups...I'd try and hold off for a bit on those.

It will be a while before they really start signalling to go out. Put a bell on the door and start bell training him.

As for as papers, you should have gotten them when you picked him up from the breeder. Call them and ask when you'll be getting them.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by YukonsMom
    I've stumbled upon a few things that I could use help with.

For starters, when do puppies usually start signaling that they need to go out? Yukon is 11 weeks now and while he doesn't have many accidents, it's because we often take him outside. He doesn't even walk to the room that leads outside.

My next thing is barking. He barely barks! Maybe one bark every 2-3 days! Is it because he's young? or will he likely be the quiet type? Are there quiet labs?

Stairs- At what age are they able/is it okay for them to do stairs?

Papers- Was I supposed to get some offical papers (or certificate or pedigree) from my breeder or do I send away for it? (I know I'm very ignorant here) My packet from the breeder had his parents typed out on her letterhead and then photocopies of their pedigrees and photocopies of their health/hip/eye certificates. Was there something else I should have?

Sorry so many questions. It's your own fault for being so informative
    The barking..Labs arent really barkers unless they are bored or someone knocks at the door so I would worry. Not many puppies find there voice so young anyway

Dynamicdogs is offline Member

My breeder allows us to name our pups so once we choose 3 names she sent them in to CKC and then CKC sent the papers to me. Takes a few weeks. Basically the breeder didn't apply until we took the pup home.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, just piss on it and walk away

Quote Originally Posted by sarahnye

Milly still won't bark and doesn't at anything.. not even other dogs or during play with other dogs. She never made a noise when she was a puppy, except for those first few nights where she howled the house down at night time. Milly is definitely a quiet lab.
    I'm glad to hear I don't have to worry about Yukon's vocal chords My last lab had so much to say!

Quote Originally Posted by Oonas Dad
    Hang a bell off the door handle and as you are walking the puppy out make it touch the bell with its nose and reinforce it with a small food treat.

When the puppy gets used to these stairs find another type. Not all stairs are equal, especially stairways that are open such as basement stairs. This is the one mistake I made with Oona and there are some stairways that she will refuse to walk up.
    Olie
    Maybe I'll give the bell idea a try. With my Christmas decorations still around, I actually have a few I could use. I'd just have to make sure he couldn't eat it!

That's a good point about the stairs, I could see a dog misjudging if they're only used to one exact kind. Thanks you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    Stairs is rough on young pups...I'd try and hold off for a bit on those.

It will be a while before they really start signalling to go out. Put a bell on the door and start bell training him.

As for as papers, you should have gotten them when you picked him up from the breeder. Call them and ask when you'll be getting them.
    Thanks, I'm just looking into our future a bit. I may have to give the breeder a call like you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamicdogs
    My breeder allows us to name our pups so once we choose 3 names she sent them in to CKC and then CKC sent the papers to me. Takes a few weeks. Basically the breeder didn't apply until we took the pup home.
    Maybe that's it. She did write down Yukon's name, but I thought that was just for her own records. I'll give her a call after I get home from vacation. Thanks!