Well made stuffed animals?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well made stuffed animals?

Allan is offline Member

DefaultWell made stuffed animals?

Hi,

Yoyo absolutely loves stuffed animals. From foxes, to bears, to ducks, etc... Whenever we buy her a new animal, she loves it. She carries it around in her mouth, wants to play tug of war, etc. She even will go into the crate where we leave some of her toys to get a stuffed animal to play with. The problem is that these toys break so soon. When I say break, I mean they develop a rip and the stuffing and squeekee part come out. We are concerned about Yoyo choking, so we immediately take the toy away when it breaks. But, these toys just dont seem to last. I just bought yoyo a stuffed duck that was endorsed by the AKC, and within 4 days, it ripped and the stuffing/squeekee part started coming out. Any suggestions for toys that will last longer for a grownig puppy? (She is now 1.5 years old).

Thanks!
    Allan

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Well made stuffed animals?

Allan - think it's a lost cause! They all do it - even as they age....there seem to be some favorites that last a long time (varies from dog to dog - not differently made) but even these MUST be destuffed at some point. Paddysmom buys her's at goodwill - more bang for the buck...I'm a sucker and buy them new every now and again...but have come to the conclusion that buying a yard of fake fur at the fabric store and cutting it into strips would be cheapest and easiest solution...mine tend to drag the empty animals around so I think this will work! Good luck!

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

It is the job of a Lab to destuff stuffed animals as quickly as possible. I have not yet found anything at all (even the ones advertised as being chew resistant) able to stand up to more than 30 minutes with Diesel.

Mine pulls out the stuffing and spits it out. He does not eat any of the toy. I do retrieve the squeaker and throw it out - but I let him have some fun with disemboweling the toy. Makes a big mess but is a lot of fun for him.
    Sharon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

I have found that Elias likes the stuffed toys with and without the stuffing. So once it breaks open and the stuffing starts to come out I just remove all of it and then he's left with just the "shell".

SillySimba is offline Junior Member

Hehe, mine loves the fabric shells . I gave him a few of my old stuffed animals from when I was a kid and so far one of the larger animals has held his own for a while but its only a matter of time.

sarah is offline Senior Member

Milly loves destuffing toys!! She thinks that this is their purpose and of course, this is her pleasure.

I've found that the MORE stuffies you have the longer they last. They aren't fixated on just one stuffie so the playtime is shared with a few at once. Also, rule in our house is no tug of war with stuffies. She has rope toys for that purpose....
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Allan is offline Member

Got it! Sounds like destuffing is the norm. Once the stuffing starts to come out, we destuff and Yoyo loves playing with the "shell" as well.

Allan

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Allan
    ..The problem is that these toys break so soon. When I say break, I mean they develop a rip and the stuffing and squeekee part come out...
    I'm a good one for putting the squeaker and stuffing back in and sewing the opening shut.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Allan
    I just bought yoyo a stuffed duck that was endorsed by the AKC, and within 4 days, it ripped and the stuffing/squeekee part started coming out.
    4 days is pretty impressive! Bauer had the AKC duck and AKC pheasant destuffed in about 4 minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom
    I'm a good one for putting the squeaker and stuffing back in and sewing the opening shut.
    I used to do that too, until I saw Sarah's post about "stuffie skins". He seems to like the skins just as much as the stuffed toy. There is just something about the stuffing and squeaker . . . he just has to get rid of them!
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

I think the stuffed toys with squeakers don't last as long as the non squeak ones. I think they believe the squeaker is a prize that must be removed.

Stuffed toys usually have a life span of 30 minutes. You are lucky to get 4 days.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast