Puppy temper tantrums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy temper tantrums

Julia531 is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy temper tantrums

Hello- I have two black lab puppies, only 7 weeks old (we got them at 6 weeks). They're actually doing quite well with potty training inside the house already, which is awesome (we're using training pads until they can actually walk down the stairs). However, one of them seems to be acting out. He was doing just fine with the pads, even going there on his own. But the last 2 days we have been putting him on the pads when he sniffs, if he's not already in that area, and he'll walk away really fast to go pee somewhere else. One time we brought him back 2 times in a row and he kept running off until he got away and peed somewhere else. He was doing fine, so I don't know what the sudden backfall is about. I figure it's just a temper tantrum, and I know he's still really young. Anyone have any advice? Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Sounds like he is just being a puppy Keep up the good work.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Just be persistent. Is there a way of keeping him on the pads until he does pee? (i.e. blocking the escape route off)?

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

They are 7 weeks old, that's pefectly normal behavior. I hope you have a lot of patience.

Good luck with them!!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I'm not really a fan of puppy pads. It encourages them to pee in the house. Can you not take them out every half hour or so? you have your work cut out with two of them.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I agree with Trickster.

Maybe puppy pads are OK as a back up - but you should be carrying them out on a regular schedule. If you wait until they are 12 weeks old (or probably older) when they can navigate the stairs - you will have bigger puppies who have an ingrained habit of peeing in your house.

I know people do this all the time with toy dogs, but this is just asking for a bigger problem with a larger breed. By the time your puppy is 6 months old and is still not fully trained the mess that he will make when he pees in the kitchen will be daunting.

And good luck with 2 puppies at once - it is VERY hard to train a pair.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

All of my pups were paper trained. (Newspapers in one room while I was at work.) I never had trouble housebreaking. As soon as they were old enough to hold it, they always went outside - never any "accidents" in the house.
    Maybe I was just lucky, or maybe dogs are smarter than we think.

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

I agree with the others, and I wouldn't say it's a temper tantrum--he's a baby and has no idea what you want. For some reason, he's just decided that there's something wrong with the pads. Make sure you are cleaning up the accidents really well with a strong enzyme cleaner--he might be smelling the previous accident and think that it's the right place to go.

Although pads/newspaper are not ideal, they certainly can work. We used newspapers for Theo while we were at work, and although it took a while, he has never had an accident in the house since being housetrained (except when he was sick).

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

I agree with Rosie (trickster) never been a fan of paper/pad training taking them to a spot in the garden works better

Cheerio is offline Senior Member

Can you take him outside to potty?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast