My boy is losing his teeth....

Thread: My boy is losing his teeth....

Guinnness is offline Member

DefaultMy boy is losing his teeth....

Hi there... just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Labs losing their teeth. Guinness is 8yrs old. Just had a check up @ the vet... all is well. He is in great health still. (Since we've gotten our pup.. he's lost over 15lbs!!!!... down to 80lbs from 97lbs) Anyway, @ his check up the vet found that he had a broken tooth. Said it wasn't a major tooth.. just one of the lower in the front & recommended just having the rest pulled. No need to try & save the tooth via root canal. Perfect, cause apparently it's a less painful & less expensive procedure. Other than that the vet commented on what great shape his teeth are in very white... no tartar buildup anywhere etc etc.

At first we thought perhaps the tooth was broken during one of the many wrestling matches our dogs have. My husband remembers, one in particular where the dogs collided & Guinness let out a whimper (which never happens). Other than that incident we couldn't think of how it might have happened... However yesterday, when attempting to clean the puppy's teeth, I thought, I would have another look @ Guinness' as well. And that's when I found that he is now missing another tooth, just inside on the right of one the eye teeth. Cry So, now, I'm @ a loss. Not sure if he is @ an age where it is to be expected to lose a tooth or two. He luvs chewing on sticks & the occasional rawhide ... but that's it. He's always monitored when chewing either.

Should I be concerned!?!? Guinness is the first pup I brought home ... and he's lived longer than any other pet I've had. I find myself tearing up even thinking about him getting older.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My boy is losing his teeth....

I wouldn't worry too much he is still pretty young in my opinion Maybe some dogs just lose them early or it's from chewing on all those toys, bones and whatever else those silly Labs like to put in their mouth.

80lbs sounds like a good weight.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Broken teeth have nothing to do w/ old age! Just kick back and enjoy..........

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestGirl
    I wouldn't worry too much he is still pretty young in my opinion Maybe some dogs just lose them early or it's from chewing on all those toys, bones and whatever else those silly Labs like to put in their mouth.

80lbs sounds like a good weight.
    ditto