Reaching old age with multiple complications...01/15/09 Auggie is gone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reaching old age with multiple complications...01/15/09 Auggie is gone

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

DefaultReaching old age with multiple complications...01/15/09 Auggie is gone

A few here might recall Auggie's abdominal surgery in '06.
    https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,20776.0.html
    Her prognosis back then was 12 to 36 months with the hepatocellular carcinoma; we are now at 26 months and still counting. 8)
    Time has moved along and so has Auggie's general health status, sadly not for the better but then it rarely does get better as one ages.

In June she was diagnosed with Cushing's. Because of her very poor morning appetite we chose to go 'alternative/complementary/ in 'treating' her Cushing's.

Then early this fall she developed glaucoma of her right eye which was removed Oct.1, at the Univ. of MN. Diagnosis of Goniodysgenesis (inherited) of the right eye. She also has this in her left eye and so has strong potential to have this develop in the remaining eye. We are admisitering one drop of Timolol in her eye am & pm as a prophylactic as directed by the U of Mn.

We have gotten a very recent infestation of ear mites under control....

All this time since midsummer a tumor on her ribs, just behind her right elbow and very near the sternum, seems to be getting bigger. An aspirate was done. The pathology report came back: mast cell, malignant and aggressive.

We have an appt. with our home vet., Dr. Dale, on the 17th, to discuss Auggie's prognosis, treatment options (surgery has already been ruled out due to location), and palliative management.

In the meantime, after doing a lot of reading on line, Benadryl seemed like a good option to maybe 'quiet down' that tumor's growth; but on further study I find Benadryl is contraindicated for glaucoma - which we know she has/can have/will have in her remaining eye.

So that's where we are now, Auggie living with hepatocelular carcinoma, Cushing's, glaucoma, and an agressive mast cell tumor. The bright side is that she still seems to have and enjoy a decent quality of life for the time being.... so now it is just week to week and then will be day to day... :'(

I can't imagine her not "being here anymore" :death: , can't wrap my mind around that certainty although I know that day is coming as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Reaching old age with multiple complications...

So sorry that you and Aussie are going through all this. I just lost my heart dog with cancer and an old horse with kidney failure...my mantra...that kept me going was "you do what you can for as long as you can and then you do what you have to."
    Wishing you well.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

That is just sad

I am sorry.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry (((HUGS))) for you and Auggie. :'(

I can only imagine. Why can't they just be here healthy forever?

Give her a big smooch from me and Emma
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

joflake is offline Senior Member

Sorry, I am just reading this now. My prayers are with you and Auggie.

..."you do what you can for as long as you can and then you do what you have to."...."you do what you can for as long as you can and then you do what you have to."...."you do what you can for as long as you can and then you do what you have to."
    :'(

This past Monday the 5th, Auggie started what seemed like a cross between a cough and a choke and I took her to Dr. Dale on Tues. She has fluid in her lungs and along her ventral line and a weak and rapid heartbeat - he suspects the mast cell tumor has compromised her heart. He put her on lasix . Tues. evening she quit eating and has not eaten since, except for the liquid gruel I make to get her many meds in by oral syringe....

The retained fluid in her abdomen is gone, but her lungs and heart are still in trouble.
    Last evening and this morning the 'light' is gone from her eyes and she is telling us it is time. So in a few minutes I will be calling Dr. Dale, who will come to our house for the "last call" - one knows it's not good when your vet gives you his card with his cell phone number written on it...

*UPDATE*
    Friday,1/9.. 8:30am CST
    Made "the call" at 6:30am and called back to CANCEL that home visit at 7:30am.
    In that one hour Auggie alertly watched for Bud while he was out doing chores, met him at the deck for their morning walk to the paper box and behaved like her old, healthy self!! Upon coming in the house she ate some raw liver pieces and 3 small slices of hot dog, Auggie bait, (I know, I know..lasix and hot dog - but I could care less at this point because that is the first she has chewed and swallowed 'food' voluntarily since Tues. evening. She hasn't 'gacked' and her respiration seems a little bit deeper and easier; and it's all in our heads and hearts, so we have at least a few more ?hours/a day? with her. I gave her her 30cc. of gruel and 30cc. of her prescribed herbal tea and then she wanted something more, what???, my brain is fried, and then it dawned on me; she wanted her usual, after breakfast CET chew !!!
    She grabbed that chew, tossed it a couple of times and cantered/trotted to the back door to go out and eat it - this being her NORMAL routine....
    Dr. Dale was very pleased that we will have a little 'more' time with her and brushed off my "cry wolf" apology and assured me he will be here at our house when we will need him.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

sarah is offline Senior Member

Oh I am so sorry :'( Poor Auggie and poor you. My thoughts are with you during this most difficult time.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

DefaultRe: Reaching old age with multiple complications...01/15/09 Auggie is gone

Auggie gave us 5 more acceptable days but yesterday was difficult for her, last night not good, and today even more uncomfortable for her; her heart was failing and breathing becoming more and more difficult. She could not really rest... staying alive was a struggle for her.

So this evening Dr. Dale kindly came to our home and assisted Auggie on her final passage.

At this moment we are so lost without her.

Tomorrow or the next day her body will be put tucked into the base of the huge snow pile of the farm driveway. From past experience that snow pile is the very last snow to melt in the spring, so that by the time we can see the orange bag she is in, the ground will be thawed and she will be buried along side our other wonderful companions who are Resting In Peace.

We will miss you forever, Godspeed Auggie.

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Reaching old age with multiple complications...01/15/09 Auggie is gone

Oh Auggie! :'( Godspeed little darling!!

I am so sorry for your loss.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

joflake is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. RIP Auggie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast