Old age is upon him
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old age is upon him

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

DefaultOld age is upon him

I just sat looking into those faithful hazel eyes looking up adoringly at me as my chocolate old boy lay on his beanbag absolutely knocked out from the short stroll we had just taken.

I hadn't gone far, just a very steady stroll around the block, with my 2 boys, stopping for a short time on the field at the top of our street.

A small stream meanders through it just deep enough to wet your feet, and although his body was saying "no" his head over ruled it as he saw his brother leap in from the bank, and so he slowly lowered himself in. He stood for a while allowing the rippling water to wash around his feet, his nose pointing upwards as he took in the fresh afternoon air and he looked as happy as he could be as his brother danced about tugging at tree roots and making a splash.

As he tried to mount the bank to get out his legs gave way and he stumbled and fell into the water, i immediately jumped in and took his weight in my arms-no mean feat- he steadied himself a little and between us we managed to get back onto Terra firma.

As our eyes met, mine filled with tears, he looked shocked but i knew he was thanking me, that had never happened before, and it was at that moment that we realised what an old boy he was.

We continued the short trip back home he struggled and stumbled a couple more times, i talked to him, encouraging every step, the tears trickling down my cheeks until we finally made it back.

With all his effort he stepped up into the house exhausted and dropped onto his bed-

How do i tell him that there will be no more water- he's a Labrador, that's what he does best- or at least it was-

I remember the day we brought him home- a wriggling bundle of chocolate velveteen- where have the years gone? I want them back- I want my leaping, bounding, swimming, stick chewing boy back....

I know that's not going to happen so i have to enjoy whatever time we have left together.

Today was a wake up call by old age himself and things are never quite going to be the same again :'(

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Old age is upon him

He's gorgeous... how old is he? My oldest currently is 12, so I know how you feel. I lost her mom ~1.5 yrs ago. -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

Hi Anne,

Both my boys are 10 which is comparitively young to some of the senior citizens on here.
    Jasper my black boy has far more energy and is much more active than Jonah my chocolate, but then he has recently been diagnosed with diabetes and it seems to have aged him a great deal.

Kate

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kpowell is offline Senior Member

I know that look. Tears streaming down my face.
    Jack's Mom

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

Such gorgeous boys. Gosh, it's so hard when the reality of our once vibrant bouncing babies advancing age comes knocking. Hugs hugs to you and your boys.

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

It's so hard when they age, isn't it! One minute they seem to be young and the next they are becoming old and frail The years in between go much too quickly.

Your boys are so handsome.

Won't someone please feed me!

SandyandAbbey is offline Senior Member

I have no words - only emotion. :'(

Guinnness is offline Member

Reading your post about your lab almost brought me to tears! My boy Guinness is getting up there as well.. He's 6.5 yrs now & has begun to slow down over the past 6 months or so. Some days he loves to go for a long walk or a hike and seems to have an endless supply of energy. And others, after 10- 15 minutes of walking he simply sits or lays down. (I'm hoping that it's just him being stubborn & not wanting to follow the direction our walk is taking us.). He loves the water!!! (But, what lab doesn't) However, on occassion after fetching his ball 3-4 times he doesn't want to do that either.

The vet says he's fine... just a bit (ALOT) overweight. So, we've cut back on his food & treats. Other than that.. I just allow him to take the lead. On days when we're out for a walk & he seems to have reached a point where he's had enough... we stop & take a break & then turn around & go home.

I too miss the days where I couldn't keep up with him!!!

mosmama is offline Senior Member

I'm there with all of you as well. Mo turned 9 in May. He is still in very good shape. Very muscular (losing some muscle in his back legs), but still loves the frisbee (not as fast as before), still loves swimming, etc. My mom and I got together today with the dogs and took them running where they could be off leash. After a good long run and some frisbee, towards the end of our walk Mo just healed in between my mom and I (he's such a good boy). When we got home, we both took a little nap. I took him for his evening walk about an hour and a half ago and towards the end of the walk, he was almost lagging behind me.....needless to say, he's exhausted and it is heart breaking to see how much more tired he gets.....I remember the days he could go and go and go and would never get tired...I'm sure he'll sleep very well tonight.....as we cuddle
    Mo
    May 17, 1998 - May 20, 2009

The Love of My Life
    Rest in peace my Sweet Chocolate
    I Love You and Miss You so much

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

BeandMe is offline Senior Member

Kate your story made me so sad. I have been there with my senior girl Sarah. She lived for 15 years and 2 months Wishing good health for your beautiful boys in their senior years. They are so beautiful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast