Heart failure
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heart failure

TwoLabs is offline Member

DefaultHeart failure

My 11 year old yellow Lab took quite a sudden decline from an active, very healthy dog, to an old man. He has always been a "panter" but I noticed he seemed to be breathing very heavily and wheezing which I thought was lingering effects from a bout of kennel cough in July. Today I came home, planning on getting him looked at again, when I noticed his belly was terribly bloated!

After chest and abdominal xrays and an ECG, he was diagnosed as having heart failure. He is now on two diuretics and a drug that actually strengthens the heart muscles (and is doing wonders, the vet said, in extending dog's lives). He'll be getting blood pressure medications soon, once he adjusts to the others.

Poor old guy! He is not allowed any strenuous exercise - no walks or runs on the beach - unless he imporoves radically.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Heart failure

my 2 boys are 10 now and it wasn't until just recently that i noticed that old age was creeping up on them.

one of them has just been diagnosed with diabetes which is taking a bit of getting used to.
    I suppose when they reach this age we should be expecting them to slow down a little and start getting some ailments, it doesn't make it easy for us to watch though.

Give your old man a hug from us and lets hope he'll be taking a dip in the sea again real soon

Kate

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

Caseys Mom Guest

That must have been very hard news to get. Paws crossed that the medications will give your oldster many more good times yet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Three doses of the diuretic have made a huge difference! He is still panting ( it is hot ) but the wheezing and heaving sides have stopped and he is actually trotting around outside, looking happy. I can't believe the change!

kpowell is offline Senior Member

Many years ago my cocker spaniel had heart failure and lived three years after being diagnosed. They put him on diuretics first, and then later on he had to have a stronger medicine. I'm sure the medicine they have now is even better!
    Jack's Mom

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

So glad to hear the diuretic is working

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

So glad to see that your boy is improving on the diuretics hopefully the other meds will help even more

Won't someone please feed me!

He is looking and feeling so much better. Max actually had the energy to play with the new pup today!

Caseys Mom Guest

It's great to hear that Max is doing so well.
    Thanks for keeping us updated.

SandyandAbbey is offline Senior Member

What good news that he is improving. It's so hard when you think of them getting older.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast