Arthritis in his back?

Thread: Arthritis in his back?

robinsegg26 is offline Senior Member

DefaultArthritis in his back?

Hi all.

Well we just got the new yesterday that Coal has arthritis in his back. he will be 9 in November. I have noticed since about April that he is just a little bit slower getting up in the morning and takes his time walking up the three steps in the backyard to come back in. But for the past week hes really slowed down and is laying around more than he ever has. He usually follows me from room to room but if i get out of bed to let one of the other dogs out or to go potty myself he just lays there and he wants so bad to get up on the bed but cant

We are supposed to go back to the vet in 2 weeks and see if hes worse and then they will talk to us about putting him on some kind of meds for pain.

Is there anything that i can start giving him now to help? over the counter? I am really worried about him. He jumped up in the car last night at the vets to go home and just laid down. he never does that.. lvoes to look out the windows and tries to talk me into rolling them down...

The vet said that she tried to get him to show that he was hurting by manipulating his legs and such and didnt get a peep out of him. The xrays show the arthritis and she said that Labs just have a high pain tolerance and that doesnt mean hes not in pain... Which he does.. our old vet put a drain tube in his back when he was 3 for a bite wound that had abcessed and Coal just sat there and let him do it.. didnt even flinch when he was cutting him , putting the tube in or stiching him up.

Was just wondering if i should be giving any supplements or vitamins or something. going to talk to the vet about it this afternoon when she calls me back. I called to ask if i could give him aspirin because hes really uncomfortable this moring.

hes eating Eagle Pack Holistic Fish formula 1.5 cups in the am. And then at night gets 1 cup of kibble and 1/2 cup of green beans and a few baby carrots with tablespoon of yogurt and pumpkin.. and hes doing great. lost 5lbs and now is down to 91lbs which is where the vet wants him to be.....

thanks for any suggestions..

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Arthritis in his back?

His dog food is :

22% Protein / 12% Fat / Calories - 354 kcal/cup

When do you switch to a senior formula? or do you have to? I looked at Eagle Packs site and this is listed as a food for seniors... hes got allergies and thats why we are on the fish formula.. he does well on it...

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

My only suggestion would be to give Coal glucosamine/chondroitin. There are many commercial human and pet brands to choose from.

My Auggie has Lymes Vaccine induced arthritis of both hocks and we did not know it until one hock showed up in a corner of an x-ray for something else.

Now, going on 12 years old, Auggie is getting 750 mg. glucosamine and 600 mg. chondroitin twice a day with each feeding, for a total of 1500 mg. glucosamine and 1200 mg. chondroitin.

Along with the 'blessing' of my vet Auggie is being fed Innova Evo which is grain free, and high in protein and fat. She is doing very well on this type of kibble.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I had very good luck giving Mick ArthriSoothe and MSM. I bought the ArthriSoothe formulated for horses, and adjusted the doseage (1/8 tsp for a 75 pound dog). The MSM came from the grocery store (1,000 mg).

thanks guys! I started giving him G/C with MSn last week.. he seems to be doing better.. made him rest this weekend and I think it helped.. we will see.. we have a follow up apt next week with the vet so we will see how hes doing then..

Only bad thing is that I have a 2.5 yr old foster at the moment and he keeps jumping on his back (trying to "hump" him) and I am sure thats not helping... so trying to get Bunk to stop doing that.. other than that he seems to be doing better..

kpowell is offline Senior Member

So glad he's feeling better. Acupuncture helped my angel Sam immensely!!!!! I really think it helped him get around without too much pain from when he was about 14 to when he was 16.
    Jack's Mom

SandyandAbbey is offline Senior Member

Abbey has HD and has both Glucosomine/Condroitin and also Fish Oil capsules. I notice a difference in her if she doesn't have both. She also has Cartrophen injections every six months and they are brilliant.

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

I give Buddy MSM, Glucosamine, Fish Oil and have been for years. After much reading recently, am going to add Cosequin and C10? I forget the exact name but I know I will recognize it when I see it. He too has gone for accupuncture and will start again in about 2 weeks. He's 9 and has had TTA surgeries in both rear legs and his meniscus removed in the latest one on 7-13-07. He too has arthritis and issues with his back from running into a moving car when he was younger.
    I can't imagine what he'd be like without the supplements.

softail is offline Member

Robin ~ I have a breeder friend here in NW Ohio that is having good results using a drug called Adequan on one of her younger girls. I think it was initially formulated for horses. It's a series of injections given over x amount of time. I think cost is reasonable. Check out www.adequancanineus.com It sounds as if this is the latest/greatest for arthritis in canines.Wish it had been around when my old girl had HD/arthritis.
    ~ Jen
    ~ Life's a beach for a swamp pig

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Just now seeing this thread.

I use a holistic approach whenever I can and have dealt with arthritis.

You can see info I wrote on this very subject at www.heartypet.com/blog under breeder/canine section titled "Our Beloved Seniors".

Hoping the info is helpful for your senior baby.