feeding a senior lab

Thread: feeding a senior lab

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Defaultfeeding a senior lab

Are there any things one should do to add to their food when your lab is 12 +?? Supplements? homemade stews??

My lab eats so fast she just inhales it.
    My breeder recommends still to just feed a maintenance diet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Felix Guest

DefaultRe: feeding a senior lab

Our last senior, Yoskha .. we've feed her "Royal Canin" for the senior dog, and that was exactly the perfect choise for her

imported_Ninemiler is offline Senior Member

My 12+ year old girl takes Synovia G3 daily. It's a vitamin supplement, plus glucosamine. I typically try to go with vitamin therapy rather than synthetic meds - if appropriate.

We had a blood panel done on her as part of a checkup, and she had a few age-related issues surface. My vet suggested I pop the following vitamins into her food bowl with her dinner:

Synovia G3
    Vitamin E, C
    Sam-E (for liver enzymes)
    Salmon oil

Sound like a lot, but she's doing well!
    <br /><br />&quot;My little dog -- a heartbeat at my feet.&quot;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; --Edith Wharton

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

whitelab21 is offline Senior Member

if your dog is healthy and comfortable, don't change a thing. but if you feel she could use some extra vitamins, then you could add supplements to her diet. most ppl find that their seniors have arthritis or joint pain. if thats the case, you might want to give her something with glucosamine and chondroiton in it. there are some dog foods that have those supplements in it already like Canidae. is your senior experiencing any problems?
    see pics of all my babies<br />http://www.seehankplay.myphotoalbum.com/

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I started my 7 year old gal on ProPlan senior. She also is taking Dogzyme Probiotic Digestive Enzymes and Gluc/Cond.
    Kim

bitoy is offline Junior Member

our senior seemed to have lost his appetite after serving our female lab. he jsut smells his food and would take about two mouthfuls (not even a mouthful sometimes). he seemed to have lost energy insdie the house but whenever we go out for our walks he seem to be ok but not as energetic as before. what could be the case here? we separated her from our female as we dont want her stressed during her hopefully impending pregnancy, but we are also worried about our bear. help.