New to the forum with a Super Senior

Thread: New to the forum with a Super Senior

Zamode is offline Member

DefaultNew to the forum with a Super Senior

Hello! I was recommended to this forum by my friend hark67. I hope I can babble here a bit..... I have a 12 year old mixed black Lab named Buford and he is my pride and joy. A very, very sweet, loyal, kind pup. He has always been a bit of a jealous dog even when he was #2 dog in the house but not in a vindictive or nasty way. We have a 2 year old daughter and I swore Boof would love her. Well, he doesn't. He is good with her but just doesn't want to be bothered. I no longer work but with the baby and the house, there is always something to do. Every single night I go to bed I swear I am going to make more time for Boof and wonder how much having the baby in the house has effected him. He was good up until about 2 weeks ago, maybe 3, that I've noticed.

He's lost weight and I can see his bones slightly in parts. He hasn't eaten any of his food in about 4 days now. He will eat canned food and table scraps so I feed him whatever so he has food in his belly (not cookies or that sort of thing, mind you). We took him to the vet today and are waiting for his urine and blood results to come back tomorrow. Please send prayers and good wishes, I would so appreciate it. I am confident he will be okay but never knowing 100% is eating at me. The guilt of him not getting as much attention as he used to is very heavy on me now, I fear that part of his weight loss and whatever is going on is weighing on him as well.

He does eat other things, though but has been having some incontinence issues lately but they are controlled fairly well with more visits outside. He sleeps more than he used to but I assumed both of those concerns were because of his age. He seems okay otherwise.....

My sister says don't make a mountain out of a molehill and just give him extra love and attention until you find anything out, which I have been doing. She practices Healing Touch and said she will do some on Buford when she comes out in 3 weeks. Boof loves my sis because she always has been great with the rubs.

I guess I'm just rambling, feeling guilty that maybe doggie depression may be the reason, due to the baby, that he is not exactly himself. Would it take this long, 2 years later, for that to happen? I'll know more tomorrow. The vet was doing several tests, kidneys and liver, red & white cell counts, thyroid. I believe there was another but I cannot recall.

Thanks for reading and please anyone with any thoughts, kindly reply. Thanks so much!

[attachment deleted by admin]
    <br />Always in my heart sweet bubby bear ~

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New to the forum with a Super Senior

Your Buford is gorgeous!!!!

Awww these pups: So much joy and happiness they bring us. and so much sadness and worrying when they are not well. I send you a lot of prayers for the test will come back with good results. Please pray for my girl too.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Felix Guest

Gorgeous black Labrador! 8)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Zamode is offline Member

Thank you! Emma has my prayers! I haven't been without a black Lab in my life for too long of a time since I was 10.....that was 28 years ago. They are the most loving, cuddly creatures on Earth!

polark13 is offline Senior Member

hi
    your pup is beautiful

I have a chocolate who is 15 1/2 - when his "brother" died a year ago, he went down hill a little bit and wouldn't eat. I switched him to a raw food diet and he has been eating better ever since. I buy 'processed' raw food (think frozen hamburger patties) and I thaw them out and Ellis loves them. I also mix in dry kibble and sometimes canned food or those little gravy packet things. NOw he's all picky and will only eat the good stuff - but he deserves it.

I figure when you're a purebread lab and at 15 1/2 - you get anything you want.

best of luck to you and your pup
    <br />Ellis (brown) &amp; Yukon (yellow) - Sadly, we helped Ellis &quot;move along&quot; on Feb 22, 2007 at age 15 1/2 - and Yukon died suddenly on Feb 1st, 2006 - 4 days before his 11th birthday.&nbsp; We are devestated.

kpowell is offline Senior Member

It kind of sounds like maybe he has a kidney problem, which can now be helped! If that's what the diagnosis is, then you need to know that there are really new drugs out now that can help like Calcitriol (which can actually halt the disease), phosphorous binders, and enalapril (blood pressure medicine that helps kidneys). Also, try over the counter stuff like CoQ10 and Omega 3. These are all things that I did for Sam, my old schnauzer/dauchsund cross, in conjunction with my vet (who admits that he wasn't on the cutting edge before research for Sam!) Sam lived with kidney disease for three years and died of other causes at 16 1/2. The BUN and Creatinine levels are the most important here, followed by the calcium and phosphorous levels. Check out the yahoo group called K9Kidneys for more info, although they don't seem to talk about Calcitriol very much. Also, there is new research that says that protein should not necessarily be restricted, especially for older dogs, just better quality protein (like human boiled chicken that we gave Sam). That used to be the only treatment vets could give--a reduction in the protein through special prescription diets.

Please let us know what the vet says! I hope it is something much more simple!
    Jack&#039;s Mom

Zamode is offline Member

Thanks everyone for your kindness and good wishes! Kpowell, thanks so much for all of that great information. I jotted it down and will mention it to the vet tomorrow when Boof gets his bloodwork redone. What is really worrying me right now is he won't eat anything but meat and I am concerned about the protein but he has to eat....it's that or nothing at this point. It's only been two days of his antibiotics so hopefully he'll come around, overall.... Trying to keep my optimism up, I love him dearly.