Degenerative Myelopathy ????

Thread: Degenerative Myelopathy ????

Brutus is offline Junior Member

DefaultDegenerative Myelopathy ????

I have a 12 1/2 year old dog, Teddy, that is either a shephard lab mix or a boarder collie lab mix. ( I have been told both by different Vets. ) Regardless what he is, he is the love of our lives! I got Teddy when him and my son were both 1 yo.

I have noticed that he isnt able to get up and down as easily. In the past 6 months he has gone from sleeping in bed with my son, to sleeping on the floor to not going up stairs at all. He has quit jumping onto the couch and now has a very hard time just standing up. He doesnt sit anymore, he is either on all 4 or lays down. His hind legs shake when he squats.

I just got home from his vet appt. The vet told me that it does not appear to be arthitis, she thinks it is degenerative myelopathy. She did a complete series of blood work to make sure that his kidneys and liver is working before prescribing meds.

I just wondered if anyone know much about this condition. What I should watch for. How long before it gets so bad that he cant walk. I am heart broken and worried sick. I need to know what to expect.

Any information you can pass on will be very helpful.

Jodi :'(

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

polark13 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Degenerative Myelopathy ????

hi
    I know nothing
    but it sounds very much like my old brown man, Ellis - he's 15 1/2 and his back end has been and is still getting weaker every day
    I did a quick google and found this interesting info

http://www.drnancysplace.com/myelopathy.html

I have Ellis on Metacam - it helps in general - it's basically a liquid version of rimadyl - I think of it as ibuprofen for dogs - it definitely has helped, though ellis is so old now, we're just waiting for the sign for him to let us know it's time - when he can't stand at all (we already help him get up as much as possible), when he won't eat, or when he doestn' want to swim - that will be when it's time...

sorry - I'm of no help
    it's absolutely heart wrenching - I know
    good luck
    Kolin
    <br />Ellis (brown) &amp; Yukon (yellow) - Sadly, we helped Ellis &quot;move along&quot; on Feb 22, 2007 at age 15 1/2 - and Yukon died suddenly on Feb 1st, 2006 - 4 days before his 11th birthday.&nbsp; We are devestated.

Winnie is offline Junior Member

Hello.

So sorry to hear that this debilitating disease is affecting your little angel.

My dog Winston suffered from this disease for 3 months, before we put him down today. It is gut-wrenching to watch your beloved friend suffer from this illness, but know that your baby is not alone and neither are you. We are all here to listen and lend a sypathetic and compassionate ear.

Your dog will let you know when they want to go. Our Winston gave us a look yesterday that let us know it was time to say goodbye. They become so sad and ashamed when they can no longer stand or pee and poop without becoming messy.

Your family is our thoughts and prayers.

I have posted a memorial for Winston in the forums. Feel free to take a look at read about our last moments together.

Hugs, Kisses and Bum Rubs for your angel,

Dagmara
    Winston<br />April 3, 1995 - January 18, 2007<br /><br /><br /><br />Seymore Elliot<br />Born April 21, 2007<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brutus is offline Junior Member

Thank you so much for your responses. Now that I have read a little about this condition, at least I know what to expect. I am very saddened by the challenges that Teddy and I both face and scared of the outcome. As of now, I am treating him as I always have. He is just slower at the response. I call him to me if he has been laying in the same place for too long as I have noticed the more he moves around, the better he seems to feel. He did get to go outside for a while and play in the snow, which has always made him a happy dog. He seemed to tire quickly and wanted to get inside to warm up.
    I am sure that as this continues to worsen I will have more questions, fears and concerns. I am thankful that I have this board to help me through this time.
    Thanks again.
    Jodi