11 yr old teeth cleaning HELP

Thread: 11 yr old teeth cleaning HELP

toneygang is offline Junior Member

Default11 yr old teeth cleaning HELP

Hi I am new and need advice. I had her to the vet last week and she is utd and has a 6-10 lb over weight problem. The vet of coarse said she needed blood work to rule out thyroid problem and to the tune of 364.00.
    Now he scolded me for her teeth. She only eats dry food and I have tried and tried to get her adjusted to teeth brushing but she HATES it. She is a wonderful very obedient docile lab with a major commitment to being my best girl. So the PROBLEM is the vet now wants to clean her teeth and maybe have to remove 1 or 2 teeth. Under general anesthesia and of coarse to the tune of 550.00 give or take 100.00. I am nervous about putting her under at this age and also the cost is so much. I have been a dog owner my whole life and never have I had this done before. She eats just fine and never moans about her teeth. yes she does have bad breath but come on she be old!!!! So asking friends and other handlers they say they would not do it. So now I am asking YOU GUYS opinion. Please let me know how you feel. Pro or Con and I can take constructive criticism well. Thanks Tammy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 11 yr old teeth cleaning HELP

Where do you live? I have a neighbour who does anasthesia free teeth cleaning. I might be able to hook you up if you are in SW Ontario, or are willing to come to Guelph for it. I think she charges $80 for it. (not 100% sure so don't kill me if it's 100$)
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Samsmom1 is offline Senior Member

I have a 7 year old Rottie mix that has minor Gingivitis in one tooth and an 11 yr old yellow lab with A LOT of tartar in my opinion. I was very concerned and, yet, my vet doesn't think its vital for their teeth to be cleaned just yet. I'm having it done because they are both healthy and I'd rather do it now than when it is an emergency. I understand your concern about the anesthesia because I worry more about that than anything myself.

If you're really concerned and unsure you might consider getting a second opinion. You're vet may be the kind that worries more about his bottom line more than the animals in his care. I had one for years that I thought I could trust and it turned out he was hack. My Samson had suffered with allergies for over a year. I went to him 3 times for 3 different symptoms and he never even suggested allergies. The new guy said it immediately and with 1/2 a pill a day my baby wasn't itching anywhere anymore within 2 days. Also, another doctor visit is a lot less expensive than a teeth cleaning and blood work. You might even consider seeing if your local shelter offers medical care for pets and see what they have to say. If your dog does need the procedure it may cost a lot less there too.

Hope this helps. Keep us informed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

toneygang is offline Junior Member

Thanks so much for your input. I love my girl and wants what is best but I also love my kids and I am so tied to their needs too. Thanks again Tammy

2LabsInNEPA Guest

We had Daisy's teeth cleaned this year - she's 10. We trusted the vet and Daisy did just fine with the general anesthesia. Healt-wise, she was very healthy so that minimized our worries.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Give your dog raw knuckle bones to gnaw on. That tartar WILL come off. The teeth may remain with some staining (and will most likely still have staining AFTER cleaning too), but chewing on the bone will knock the tartar off.

LarrytheLabs Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    Give your dog raw knuckle bones to gnaw on. That tartar WILL come off. The teeth may remain with some staining (and will most likely still have staining AFTER cleaning too), but chewing on the bone will knock the tartar off.

Linda has excellent advice.

Larry gets 1-2 beef marrow bones per week. We get them at the meat section in the grocery store- usually the butchers just have a box of them in the freezer. Make sure the bones are 3-4 inches long so that your dog will not choke on them.

Keep them frozen until you want to give one to your girl, and then just give it to her frozen. She'll get the marrow out and chew happily on the bone for hours, if she's anything like any of my dogs.

Like Linda said, this WILL get the tartar off.
    Katherine<br />Charleston, SC<br />

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

I too think a second opinion is warrented here.

The price your vet quoted for a routine cleaning is way too high. It should be more in the $100. range and maybe pushing $150. for tooth extractons included with the cleaning. Just my $.02 worth.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

kpowell is offline Senior Member

Jack had his teeth cleaned about two years ago, but since he's been getting raw bones, he hasn't had any tartar to speak of, and the vet said he didn't need his teeth cleaned!
    Jack&#039;s Mom