Arthritis meds for seniors?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arthritis meds for seniors?

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultArthritis meds for seniors?

I know there'e not much "action" here, but I thought I'd try to start some interest in this section. Skippy is going to be 9 in May, and because of his multiple surgeries throughout the years has quite a bit of arthritis, which is showing up more and more in his "ability" to get up and down, and getting stiff and sore after playing and running. What is a safe med for them to use on a more continous basis for arthritis pain? I have been giving him Co-sequin for years, but that is not a pain med. Any suggestions for something safe and effiicient?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ninemiler is offline Member

My Bessie will be 15 in July - and her arthritis is pretty bad. The vets are routinely puzzled when they see her xrays because she's still quite active and mobile.

I have her on Glucosamine, Deramaxx and salmon oil supplements. Her weight is good, and we're very conscious of keeping her trim so her joints don't have to bear additional poundage. She snoops our acreage at her own pace, and decides for herself whether she feels like joining us when we take the other two dogs for a hike. We adopted her when she was 6, and her arthritis was already severe at that point.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Samson was on Glucosamine and Rimadyl for the pain and it really helped him.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Mick did really well on ArthriSoothe. The horse one is more economical than the dog one.

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

Indy will be 11 in June, he has been on a Rimadyl (generic of Novox) and Tramadol (brand name Ultram) combination for about 5 years now... He gets labwork done every 4-6 months to make sure his levels are fine....

The cheapest I found the Novox was at www.entirelypets.com and I get the tramadol, because its a human prescription, at Walmart for about 4 bux...(much cheaper than the vet's office).... Without this combination, Indy would not be able to function with the pain, with these, he's still a really happy boy...

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

Melissa is offline Senior Member

Otis is on Dermaxx, 100mg/day. We also have a prescripton of Tramadol but we don't give that regularly. If he's had a particularly bad day - he's been more active, we've had a lot of visitors, kids and he's been running around the year - then we'll give him the Tramadol to help him out.

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end. -- Unknown

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Look at Springtime Joint Health.

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

My Cinder has terrible arthritis and was in much pain. We were using gluc/cond (1500 mg/day) but it was not enough. We started using Nature's Farmacy CCM Plus and we have gotten far without having to use pain meds. No rimadyl, no durramax. I have been very happy because she does not tollerate rimadyl.
    Kim

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

My 14 1/4 only takes glyco flex III, fish oil 2 caps and thats it. He is getting around good. My 11 yrs old gets the same stuff and she is doing great and she has more arthritis than the older dog. If they need something they get metacam and thats rare. What helps the most is chiropractic adjustment acupuncture.
    Alicia

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Lubrysin. I know people getting great results.

More info on natural supps here:

http://www.heartypet.com/blog/?p=25

Also look into Arnica and cellery seed.

It can take time to see results with natural and it is often a combo of things that work.

Please be careful with Rimadyl (be sure and do regular bloodwork for liver) Personally i won't use it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast