Paddy and old routines... just some tips, here

Thread: Paddy and old routines... just some tips, here

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultPaddy and old routines... just some tips, here

Since we moved house one year ago, sometimes I forget to lavish Paddy with his old and treasured routines. Like washing his face in the morning, taking even just 10 minutes special time alone with him, calling him "my puppy", closing us off in the bedroom for a bit of one-on-one time, little things like that.

I resumed most of those little things about two or three weeks ago and MAN! Have I got a 10 year old puppy on my hands! Pouty lips, pricked forward ears, a spin here and there (no triples any more, but even a 1/2 spin is GREAT), the ever-ready "let's PLAY" face has reappeared.

Just thought I'd mention it. I've been remiss in that regard and those little things mean the world to your oldster. Don't be a bad momma like me... keep up those routines.

Seamus and Flynn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Paddy and old routines... just some tips, here

Quote Originally Posted by Paddysmom

I resumed most of those little things about two or three weeks ago and MAN! Have I got a 10 year old puppy on my hands! Pouty lips, pricked forward ears, a spin here and there (no triples any more, but even a 1/2 spin is GREAT), the ever-ready "let's PLAY" face has reappeared.
    That's so beautiful! Love you Paddy! :-* I agree with you it's so important for our oldsters to feel special!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

You're so right Nance. I have to remind myself how much Blue (my nearly 16 yo heeler) likes to go for walks still. He is very doddery on his hind legs but he is still obsessive about chasing balls, which is usually enough exercise for him just in the back yard. Taking him for walks is a effort..........he barks ALL the time and it takes a good 30 - 40 mins to do a 5 minute walk...........BUT he loves it and gets an extra spring in his step for the rest of the day

Won't someone please feed me!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

monkeydiva is offline Junior Member

Barney may be 10 years old and often gets 'stuck' going out the door or stuck at the bottom of the steps but, by jove, does he become a puppy again when out on walks. Especially if he goes swimming. All the aches and pains are out the door and of he goes.
    Barney's been old for a long time now, he's suffered leg pains since around the age of 4 but its never stopped him.

Might have something to do with the fact we don't see him as a dog considering his years we still call him a puppy and when we leave the house we always say 'Be good puppies!'

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Nance, that was the sweetest little story. I'm sure the Padman was thinking his mom didn't love him as much when you stopped his "special times," and is now much relieved!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

ThatsMyGirl Guest

What a great story. Although I don't have a senior now, I do know how important routine is to a dog ... and probably even more so as they age.

Samsmom1 is offline Senior Member

That's very true. And, you'll find that if you take them on the "usual" walk but in a different place they get even more excited and you can barely hold onto the leash (if you have to). They become Sherlock Holmes on a fresh new case. I love that.

marciabee is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samsmom1
    That's very true.* And, you'll find that if you take them on the "usual" walk but in a different place they get even more excited and you can barely hold onto the leash (if you have to).* They become Sherlock Holmes on a fresh new case.* I love that.
    That describes my Kasey to a T! She's getting up there now, and the hips are a bit stiff some mornings. But when we load up and drive to a walk along a lagoon, she's like a pup again. She loves walking through the fields and barking at the geese. I think it does more for my spirits than it does hers.

That kind of walk is one I'll cherish for many years.