adding a puppy with a senior
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adding a puppy with a senior

Kaylasmom is offline Senior Member

Defaultadding a puppy with a senior

Hi, I'm new to the forum and would like some opinions and stories on adding a puppy to the family.
    Our beautiful black lab girl is 8 1/2 years old and is in great shape. She is very docile and loving just a wonderful dog. She bonded with our neighbor's older lab who has just passed on and, truth be told, I miss seeing the two of them playing. We also have an 11 year old cat who thinks he is a dog--he'd be fine with any addition, as long as it wasn't a cat. So. . .what do you think?
    Suzan
    So, do you come here often?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: adding a puppy with a senior

Hi Kaylasmom! I´m new too! Do your lab like puppies? Some lab puppies could be very active.I know one case there the young dog took over the over from the older lab, and he is just so kind and gentle that he let him do that... Have you thought about adopting an adult lab? There are so many labrador retrievers which never had a happy and loving home...
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

2LabsInNEPA Guest

We brought Charlie into the house when Daisy was 9. Charlie was adopted and was almost 2 but he was/is still very much a puppy. Daisy is also a very docile, loving lab - but she quickly let Charlie know she was in charge. The two of them play together all the time and get along as if they were together from the start. I would recommend you introduce the new dog on neutral territory but everything should work out just fine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Caseys Mom Guest

My old guy, Hershey, was about 10 when I brought Casey home at 7 weeks. Right from the start she was a little alpha bitch and she pestered him and pestered him trying to get him to play with her. Hershey was NOT amused but he never would tell the puppy off and I often would end up closing the doggie gate so he could get a break from puppy shenanigans. Casey eventually transfered her attentions (and affection) to my cat who was more than happy to play and would bring out the claws and tell her "back off" if she got too rough. They were best buddies until the kitty went to the bridge. Now - 5 1/2 years later - the two dogs get along well but I wouldn't say that they're best friends. Casey is definitely still the alpha dog but Hershey seems happy to play second fiddle and defer to her.

This experience was very different from the first time I added a puppy when I had an older dog. That older girl wouldn't put up with any nonsense at all from the pup and was very quick to tell her off.* The pup, in turn, was very respectful and would follow the old girl around and do whatever I told her to do.

So -- my experience is that how it works depends a lot on the individual personalities of the dogs and you being able and willing to make accomodations so everyone's happy.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

When my old lab Shadow was 11, I got Magnum as a pup. At first Shadow wasn't real thrilled, but Magnum wormed her way into his heart. Shadow was very crippled with arthritis and Magnum was very gentle with him. They really bonded in the year they had together. We refered to Shadow as Magnum's "grandpa-brother".

I think a lot of getting a puppy with a senior dog depends on the senior dog's attitude in general. It also depends a lot on YOU being able to still provide personal time with the senior, and allowing the senior time alone away from the pup.

luckylab is offline Junior Member

We just did this back in December.* Our older lab, Guinness, is around 10 or 11 - we got him as an adult so I don't know his exact age.* He was starting to really slow down and sleep a lot.* I thought another dog would keep him more active and interested in life.* So, we went to the humane society looking for an adult companion for him.* Unfortunately, we couldn't find an adult that was suitable (which is really what I wanted)...but we came upon a puppy who was the last of her litter to be adopted.* She is a black lab mix.

I knew Guinness' was a kind soul, but I didn't know the full extent until we brought the puppy home.* She turned out to be a dominant little girl!* When she was just 3 months old, I got out of the shower and found her sitting on top of his head.* He just laid there looking at me like "will you please get her off of me".* She will go up to him and take a bone right out of his mouth - and he lets her.* Very rarely will he ever discipline her - we wish he would!* She loves him and curls up with him every chance she gets.* He appears to tolerate her, but I've caught him giving her kisses.*

The major problem we have had is that he has hip displaysia and is arthritic, and she will play too rough.* Sometimes when they get excited, she will bite at his legs and sometimes pull a leg out from under him.* I also have to watch them outside because she will come running full blast at him and try to tackle him.

So, would I do it again?* No, I should have stuck to my original plan to bring another adult dog into the home. Don't get me wrong, I'm so happy that the little one is in our life - but it would have been better for Guinness to not have to deal with the puppy playfulness.

raian is right - the puppy does take a lot of time away from the older dog - so there is a constant balancing act going on.

Kaylasmom is offline Senior Member

Thanks for your stories, I think we will remain a one lab family for now at least. Kayla is such a marshmallow, that she would be miserable if a dominant puppy came into our household.
    So, do you come here often?

Chasesmom is offline Junior Member

I too, am considering a new addition but I'm terrified that a puppy might just cause Chase unnecessary grief for her remaining years. What I wanted to pass along was that, during research, I discovered that the "Petco" in our area has a pet rescue/adoption program wherein you are allowed to bring the new pet home temporarily to ensure that it will be a "good fit". I haven't tried it yet, but I thought it might be helpful. Good Luck!

Sadie is offline Junior Member

I have had a different experience with getting a puppy with an older dog. Our Katie was 8 and a half when we got our chocolate puppy, Sophie. We were very apprenhensive about how Kate would react. From the moment Kate met Sophie (the puppy) was Kate's puppy. I moved their cages side by side and the puppy never cried at night. Kate was so patient with her girl and the were great pals. Last year we saw that Kate was starting to slow down so we added another puppy to our family so Sophie would have a friend. Sophie at this point was 5 years old but her best buddy was 12. We had the same thing happen again. The puppy was accepted into the family and never had a night of crying because she had sisters. Sadly, our Katie crossed the bridge this year on the Memorial Day week end. But her sweet ways live on with the other two live in how they treat each other.

My friend added a puppy to her family at Christmas with a 10 and 11 year old lab. They became good friends and seem to enjoy each other. So I guess it really depends on your dogs. We asked our breeder to help us pick out a pup who who have older dogs around. She did a great job. I am not sure I would want to introduce an older dog into the mix. I am not sure how patient the other dogs would be. But they seem to sense that puppies need more TLC.

Mom to Sophie and Sadie

TwoLabs is offline Member

After we lost one of our Labs, we discussed getting the chocolate puppy my husband has always wanted. We decided it would be too much for our then 14 year old arthritic grumpy old man. We adopted a 9 year old Lab from the shelter which was perfect. They got along from day one and the new dog was never too rough for the old guy.

I would consider a puppy now that we lost our older dog, as the 10 year old is still active and able. He loves to play with my sister's 7 month old Golden Retreiver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast