Going to start Laser Therapy on Daisy **UPDATE 6/15/06**
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to start Laser Therapy on Daisy **UPDATE 6/15/06**

2LabsInNEPA Guest

DefaultGoing to start Laser Therapy on Daisy **UPDATE 6/15/06**

***UPDATE***

Daisy had her next to last treatment today. We've been gradually weaning her to lower doses of Metacam. After today's treatment (her 5th) the vet says she has near full-range of motion in her knee without discomfort. We'll do one more treatment next week and then stop until the fall.

I have to say that I have seen anaamazing change in her. We've been trying to keep her relatively calm for the last few weeks - still have one to go - but I can tell she wants to run and play. That's something I have not seen in her for months. After her morning and evening walks, she runs back to me at full tilt, tail wagging. I just know she will love getting out in the field and playing ball in a few weeks.

So, it seems that the laser treatment is very effective for arthritis and even assisted in repair of her partially torn ACL. The treatments cost about $35/visit - not cheap but well worth the difference in her ability to enjoy life.

***UPDATE***

Daisy went in for her third treatment today. The vet believes that she's got a partial ACL tear as well as the arthritis so we're working on both. We've been keeping her as quiet as possible - don't want to crate her at this point in her life - and that seems to be working. She responded well to the first two treatments and her limp is noticeably lessened. We began a process of weaning her off the Metacam today - gave her a 100lb dose prior to her treatment and then drop her to 50lb doses for the next 10 days, then down to 25 to see how she reacts. Hopefully, the treatments will reduce her discomfort to the point where we can take her off the Metacam completely soon thereafter.

After discussing it with our Vet, we've decided to give Laser Therapy a shot to treat Daisy's knee arthritis. We started her on a new pain medication yesterday - can't remember the name but it's a liquid (starts with an M?). The Vet wants to do the Laser while we're giving her the medication - says that will offset any discomfort resulting from the therapy.

Daisy has been limping a lot and any running will cause her to stop placing weight on her left rear leg based on the pain in her knee. She loves to chase her ball so much we just have to try the therapy and see if it will reduce her problems. There have been some very positive results with the therapy so we are going to give it a shot.*

It looks like she'll have her first treatment tomorrow and the Vet says she thinks she'll need 6 or 8 treatments. Cost is under $35 a treatment. I'll post again once we see how the therapy works.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Caseys Mom Guest

DefaultRe: Going to start Laser Therapy on Daisy

Good luck with the laser treatment. Can you tell us a little more about what it involves?

The liquid starting with M is most likely Metacam. My vet switched my old guy, Hershey, to the Metacam from Etogesic back at the beginning of the year thinking that it would be safer for long term useage. Hershey's done quite well with it so far.

2LabsInNEPA Guest

It is Metacam - thanks! SHe's just on her second day so there weren't and huge changes but she did seem to have a bit lees pain this morning.

Here's a small description on the laser therapy.

Phototherapy is fast emerging as a promising field of medicine. And it works: infrared light (either from lasers or LEDs) is, indeed, healing. So is natural sunlight, by the way, which contains the same wavelengths of light emitted by these lasers. But you can't always get sunlight on your hips or other joints, so laser treatments and phototherapy devices are a great way to go for pain relief and accelerated healing.
    Studies indicate that it is highly effective. It is non-invasive and helps reduce pain and swelling in the affected joint by stumulating nerves and promoting the healing process. Our Vet says she's seen dogs in much worse shape than Daisy returned to full function.

I sure hope it works as the articles I've read indicate. I might even have to check it out for my own knee problems!! ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I hope it works for her

Laura

Caseys Mom Guest

Interesting! Thanks, Mark. I'll be looking for your updates on how Daisy's doing.

polark13 is offline Senior Member

I hope she manages ok - I'm sure she will
    I put Ellis on Metacam almost 2 years ago - it has really helped him, however, now I seem to think it may not be doing as good a job as it once did - he's probably getting immune to it? not sure. I keep giving it to him though.

Our thoughts are with Daisy.

<br />Ellis (brown) &amp; Yukon (yellow) - Sadly, we helped Ellis &quot;move along&quot; on Feb 22, 2007 at age 15 1/2 - and Yukon died suddenly on Feb 1st, 2006 - 4 days before his 11th birthday.&nbsp; We are devestated.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I hope this works well for Daisy. Laser therapy both veternary and human can do really amazing things. Good luck and please keep us posted on how she's doing!

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

I hope the laser treatment works well for Daisy, will be looking forward to your updates.

Won't someone please feed me!

2LabsInNEPA Guest

We had the first treatment on Wednesday. It wen't very well and the Vet had a better chance to see exactly how Daisy responded as they maneuvered her leg. The Vet believes she's got both arthritis and a partial ACL tear. Beyond the treatments (2 a week for 4 weeks), we have some physical therapy exercises for her and are supposed to keep her semi-confined (no running, etc.).

The treatment itself seemd not to bother her. In fact, she came home with lots of energy. The Vet told us to ice her knee for a few minutes if needed but she seemed to have no pain whatsoever so we didn't.

She will have 2 treatments next week and I'll let you know how they go.

lcspt is offline Senior Member

When I was in Physical Therapy school we learned infrared light therapy (along with ultraviolet and diathermy). As a human PT I haven't used it in years on patients. Don't know if the manufacturers are still making that equipment. Interesting to see older therapy being utilized in different ways now.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast