Is it time to let go?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it time to let go?

TobysDad is offline Junior Member

DefaultIs it time to let go?

My 12 year old chocolate has been fairly rapidly deteriorating over the last few months. Her hip dysplasia is getting bad - she is pretty stiff walking and has some trouble getting up. She was diagnosed with diabetes in January and have been giving her insulin since then. She doesn't move much and recently has been peeing alot in the house - some of it is that she doesn't make it to the door in time, sometimes she just pees where she is, and sometimes she wets the bed (peeing in her sleep)

She seems pretty sad most of the time - when i call her, its a struggle for her to get up and come to me.

She doesn't seem to be in pain, but I know labs are so loyal they won't let you know they in pain - Last fall when she had an abscessed tooth removed, she never whimpered.

Her appetite is still good - she is a lab after all

She still has good days - but they are getting fewer and farther between.

I have a very supportive vet, we have a lot of time talking about quality of life and will support me when I think Toby's quality of life is fading away.

This is the hardest decision I've ever had to make. If she were a little worse, or showing signs of pain, or senility or something that would make this an easier decision. I don't know if the time has come and I'm just not will to face it. Does anyone had any advice or help for me.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

polark13 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Is it time to let go?

I'm in a very similar boat with my almost 15year old Ellis. He definitely has a hard time standing up, and can't walk to far - but I give him LOTS of massages on his back legs and tons of love. He generally seems happy - and when we take him to the river, he still thinks he's a pup. I recently switched him to a raw food diet and it seems to have helped his coat, his appetite, his general happiness and his 'accidents' in the house have greatly reduced since the switch. Everyone says that you'll know when it's time - I hope that's true for you as well as me. It's been extra rough lately on Ellis and us as we just unexpectedly lost our younger very healthy Lab Yukon. 2006 is not a good year for us. Good luck - I'm sorry I'm of no help.
    <br />Ellis (brown) &amp; Yukon (yellow) - Sadly, we helped Ellis &quot;move along&quot; on Feb 22, 2007 at age 15 1/2 - and Yukon died suddenly on Feb 1st, 2006 - 4 days before his 11th birthday.&nbsp; We are devestated.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

I don't have a solid answer for you Tobysdad, only the answer my dad gave me when I called him crying to ask that same question. He told me "Sweetheart, if you're asking yourself and asking me that question, I think you might already know the answer".

I think only you and she know the answer. Have you talked with her and asked her to let you know when she is ready? I had the talk with Jordan and she gave me her answer. I didn't want to listen to it, but I knew when she looked at me the way she did, like please, stop this for me, that it was okay to let her go. I told her so too. Gawd, I'm crying typing this and hope this brings you some sort of help. This is the hardest part of having dogs I think. It's never easy. I say ask her to let you know, and then when you have listened to that, let her know what you are doing so she knows.

My heart is truly with you and yours.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labradorabl is offline Junior Member

If you listen with your heart - you will know when the time is right

When the sparkle in their eye is gone
    When the smile is no longer there

When staying is what is best for you - and letting go would be best for them

Your heart - and her's - will let you know

lunamus is offline Senior Member

Hi

This told me the answer:

"She seems pretty sad most of the time - when i call her, its a struggle for her to get up and come to me."

In 1997 we said goodbye to our black girl, Bonnie. She was 11 years old, and her kidneys were shutting down. She was almost blind and deaf.

This is the time, where we have to think of them. They have been there for us and will be loyal for ever.. I would say, the above is a sign to you, that it is time or very close to it.

Its so hard :'( And I was considering this a long while, before I got Luna.. Could I handle the pain it is to say goodbye to my best friend?

I'm so sorry :'(
    Jeanette and Luna. Sleep tight Oliver, our little kitty, thank you for 15 great years

yellowlabs is offline Junior Member

I know exactly what you are going through as I am one step ahead of you. We made the decision to let our 12 year go 2 days ago. It is so very hard, but it was the right thing to do. Henley was suffering from similar issues to yours and I know she was embarrassed and humiliated and wanted desparately to please us. It was time to say good bye. Our thoughts are with you at this time. Your dog knows you will make the best decision and the right decision. Take care.

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

Oh gosh, this brings back very rough and sad memories for me. All I can say is take one day at a time and listen to what she is telling you. I know how heartbreaking this is.

labby is offline Senior Member

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/euthanasia.html

when its getting close, or when i think its getting close, i take the dog to a quiet spot. i sit down next to them and pour out my heart to them and ask THEM to let me know. i tell them i promise not to be selfish but will abide by their wishes. they will always let you know. it might be a day, a month or even a year from the day you ask them but they will let you know.

then just honor their choice.

Laura

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Lovely post, Laura.

It's such an intimate decision to make, strictly between you and your dog. Noone knows your lab better than you and noone knows you better than your lab. You'll make the kindest decision together.

Seamus and Flynn

Dawn is offline Senior Member

Toby's dad -- I'm so sorry for what you are going through. I've been thinking quite a lot of this subject lately, when Mocha has been sick, and I hope against hope not to have to make that decision. In an ideal world, she would pass gently over in her own warm bed in the corner of our bedroom after a great meal and a long session of butt-scratches. ....

Like somebody else said, it will turn out to be a very personal decision between you and your dog. You will do your very best for her, I'm sure, and I'm also sure she knows that . Sending the best to you both .... Dawn and M & B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast